Oh Dear

• 20 Replies

Sparkyrog

Oh Dear
« on: September 10, 2013, 21:13 »
This chutney is taking for ever ,could it be because I minced the onions instead of chopping ?
I cook therefore I grow

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Oh Dear
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 21:32 »
That shouldn't make any difference, but tomatoes and courgette chutneys have a lot of liquid to evaporate off, if that's what you're making.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 21:35 »
It's apple and tomato  :) looks and smells right now just needs to reduce more !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 22:08 »
I remember staying up for literally hours the first time I made chutney - well into the early hours, at which point I gave up and went to bed as I had to go to work later that day.  It never did thicken up as it should have done.

Never did work out what I did wrong - had followed the recipe  :wacko:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 22:13 »
I often leave mine in the slow cooker overnight mide the house stinks in the morning phew :ohmy:
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 03:56 »
Sounds like the peach marmalade I made. over 4 hours later, when it finally reached 214F, it still hadn't thickened so I bottled it anyway as I was tired and fed up. Not to mention the scorch on the pan bottom.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 07:29 »
My apple and tomato took an age but i just kept on going and it did eventually thicken up. Usually i start chutneys when the little ones go down and then curse that i want to go to bed and i am tied to the chutney pan.  ::)

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 08:03 »
BQ, Mrs Bee told me in another thread, (when I was desperate to go to bed!), it won't hurt anything to switch it off and go to bed and finish it the next day. Mine always take way longer than the recipes say, but also if you have doubled a recipe it will take far longer, one of the maths experts can probably explain this technically, but I think something to do with quantity of ingredients in relation to the surface area of the pan.
I did switch mine off and carry on the next day and just as Mrs Bee said, it was fine.  :)

Madame Cholet

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 08:09 »
yes I've done that too hanks to Mrs Bee

Sparkyrog

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 09:49 »
It did finally thicken up but took 4 hours rather than the stated 2.5 .and I use a maslin pan so the surface area should of been fine . Still it's done now  :)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 10:25 »
I would have to be desperately on the match sticks to leave it overnight, i am one of those people that lose sleep if something is half done  :lol: i have learnt to live with it. Do i learn and leave jobs till i have the time...... No

Taking down the yuletime tree, starting chutney, moving half the house's furniture because i fancy a change all seem to get started at 8pm i obviously have issues  ::)

Madame Cholet

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 20:37 »
Sit down an tell counsellor Rachel all about it :D

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 21:18 »
Sit down an tell counsellor Rachel all about it :D

I aint sharing my issues once i start i'll need the men with the white jacket.  :nowink:

gobs

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 21:26 »
Sounds like the peach marmalade I made. over 4 hours later, when it finally reached 214F, it still hadn't thickened so I bottled it anyway as I was tired and fed up. Not to mention the scorch on the pan bottom.

It still did store though, did it not, Trill? It does not need to be thick - unless your liking - I happen to love runny marmalade/jam.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Sparkyrog

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 21:49 »

It still did store though, did it not, Trill? It does not need to be thick - unless your liking - I happen to love runny marmalade/jam.
I don't care about the temperature I have been making chutney for 30 years and not had one  go wrong ! If it's the right constituency it will be OK  :)

xx
Picalilli - Oh Dear.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2013, 11:04
by Mrs Bee
xx
Dear Moderator - Egg receipes section?

Started by madcat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 11:38
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.