Really easy yoghurt.

• 5 Replies

orchardlady

Really easy yoghurt.
« on: September 17, 2010, 19:20 »
I'm sure many of you have looked into and tried making yoghurt at home and have decided it's too much of a faf. Well I've played around with scalding pans and spoons and timers etc and have now come up with my definitive method of making wonderful yoghurt in a decent quantity.

The main secret is how to boil milk without burning it...Easy...always boil it in a pan or pot that is pottery, porcelain, or glass. I once left a pot on the stove and took the dogs for a walk for an hour and it was boiling happily away but was not burnt and had not boiled over.

So here we go.

Make sure everything is scrupulously clean. If you want pour boiling water over all tools. I personally don't bother.

Pour your chosen milk into the pot pretty much full. No need to measure quantities. (I have an Aga so I'll do it for that). Place on the slow ring or a low heat and gently bring to the boil, it may take quite a long time but as you are heating it in a 'pot' rather than a metal pan don't worry, go and peg out the washing etc. When it has come to a gentle simmer or there are lots of tinny bubbles around the edges remove from the heat.

Whisk in 4 heaped tablespoons of dried milk powder. I use Marvel. Make sure it has mixed in well. Cover and leave to cool. When you can put a very clean little finger in the milk and it feels warm but not hot, say 5 seconds of a finger in there without it hurting  plop your small pot of live yoghurt from the super market in and whisk it to distribute.

I now place it (covered with cling film) at the back right hand side of the Aga sitting on a cloth with a wooly hat over it for about 4 hours, If you don't have an Aga use a heat pad for kittens, a radiator or the airing cupboard, or if you have a floor standing boiler on there. You may have to adjust your timing a little (probably longer as the back of an Aga is quite hot) depending on your chosen heat source. If you forget about it don't worry it can stay there for 6 or 8 hours and come to no harm. Do not disturb it during this time. Have a look and voila you have yoghurt. Use this as you please and keep a tablespoon full or two for your next batch. Firm and creamy, not sharp at all. Wonderful with fresh fruit, muesli, sauces, salad dressings etc. I eat it each morning.
You may find that it separates and there is a yellow liquid (whey), not to worry this is really good for you but if you don't like it give it to your dog, the hens or just pour away.
 Enjoy.

madcat

Re: Really easy yoghurt.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 18:10 »
What sort of milk do you use?  All the recipes I've seen use UHT - do you use fresh milk?  Full fat or semi skimmed?  We use so much I would love to crack how to make it at home (without airing cupboard or aga, i like the idea of the kitten pad! :D)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 22:30 »
I use just bog standard semi skimmed milk from the refrigerated section of the supper market. Your heating process sterilises the milk.I tried goats milk but it was just too 'goaty' for my taste but made lovely yoghurt. I've also made with skimmed milk and it was OK but I still prefered the semi skimmed. Whole milk was really wonderful but as I eat it every day and am little round lady I didn't feel I needed to become even rounder! :D Have fun and any problems let me know and I'll try to help.

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 22:16 »
Just another comment. You can leave the yoghurt to make itself overnight. The rule of thumb is the longer you leave it the sharper the taste.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 00:06 »
could you boil the milk in a slow cooker please? or a pirex type dish over simmering water?
 Just wondering if it could be fermented in a cool bag.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 15:54 »
I would certainly think a slow cooker but it would be terribly terribly slow. A glass dish over boiling water would probably not get it hot enough. The cool bag idea is good. Maybe overnight with a hot water bottle in there.

I have two different vessels to boil my milk in. One is a small casserole (made of the same type of earthenware as the slow cooker pots) and another is a lovely Swedish 'milk pot' that looks like a flat bottomed milk jug.

If I can help again just get in contact.

xx
yoghurt

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post October 27, 2010, 21:28
by michellela
xx
Yoghurt??

Started by matilda duck on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 08:20
by Patricia
xx
Anyone got a yoghurt maker?

Started by Yoghurt on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 10:19
by compostqueen
clip
My way of making yoghurt

Started by lettice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post August 26, 2017, 08:40
by lettice

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 39 queries.