Cherry Jam - not setting

• 24 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
Re: Cherry Jam - not setting
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 09:53 »
I have a tendency to only use preserving sugar unless I'm working with strawbs, then it's always jam sugar. :)
That's interesting. I have read a lot of books on preserving and apart from one guy ( Oded Schwartz) they all say not to use preserving sugar for jams, jellies & marmalade. Oded 's recipes suggest using either granulated or preserving sugar.
Silver Spoon says that their preserving sugar is made with larger crystals which heps prevent burning and is ideal for "high" pectin fruit preserves http://www.silverspoon.co.uk/products/baking-and-cooking/preserving-sugars/preserving-sugar. So this wouldn't be any good for low pectin fruit like cherries and it is more expensive to buy than granulated. I'm not sure it is worth it because I haven't experienced any problems with using ordinary sugar that they claim using preserving sugar prevents...i.e.burning, less froth, or cloudy jellies. I wonder if it isn't just a marketing gimmick  :unsure: As we have to watch the costs of everything we make really carefully I couldn't justify the extra money but can see it might be worth using for just home use. Have you used it when making low pectin fruit jams etc?

Jam sugar is ok but it does cause a lot of froth and you have no control over the amount of pectin you are using as it's already mixed in with the sugar. If you wanted to use slightly less sugar you would also be using less pectin automatically.
Also I can tell the difference in taste and consistency of jam made with jam sugar - strawberry for example tends to have an after taste and sets quite solid which isn't always very nice. I do sometimes use half jam sugar and half granulated if following Pam Corbins Strawberry Jam recipe and this produces a lighter set (but lots of froth). Scraping off the froth can lose you a lot of your precious jam as well.
Making jam is great and I love it ...until I hit a problem and then I blame myself (quite often the case) but when you start reading the so called experts opinions and advice you realise they all have their own take on what is right or wrong and in the end if it works for you then go with it.
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 12:24 »
I'm a Mrs Beaton girl  ;) :)
All my jam and jelly recipes are quite old! :lol:

chrissie B

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 20:32 »
aldi got jam sugar in Thursday I think 1.69 ish a bag if its any good , I don't buy it so not sure on the price .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 20:46 »
Well I doubt they had jam sugar in good old Mrs Beatons day - but I do love her recipes which are great because you can adapt them using todays newer ingredients should you need (or want) to.

Thanks Chrissie - We buy our granulated sugar from Aldi or Lidl when it's on offer and it's usually between 69p and 74p for a 1kg bag. As all our profits go to Great Ormond Street Hosp and a local charity (New-Hope Animal Rescue) we really try to keep the sugar and jam jar costs to a minimum as we only buy the best fruit. We are really lucky and have a lot of fruit and veg donated to us by customers and other charity fund raisers either from their garden or allotments. I don't think the cheaper sugar makes any difference to the taste of the jam but you can't make good preserves with bad fruit or veg.

I'm so glad I asked the question as it's been really great to read all your replies. I hope the future batches of cherry jam turn out good for all of us  :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 21:00 »
I can never use pectin powder - it leaves great lumps floating in my jams that I have to fish out ???
You have to mix it in with your sugar before adding it. Give the sugar/pectin powder a good old stir to ensure the powder is fully mixed in and it wont go lumpy. Also if you are fishing it out then presumably your jam isn't setting which is a shame. You could try giving it a whizz with a blender but try the above it really works....honest!

Another tip: If I'm making a jam which wouldn't normally need pectin to be added I never put full amount of sugar in to start with (just in case it wont set) then I can add the pectin powder to say 100g of sugar and add it to get a set. That way you only use the pectin if absolutely necessary and you are not adding extra sugar. 100g wont make much difference to the taste if you don't need it or even if you do need it.

I don't like the pectin powder either.
I use 4oz of grated Bramley apples to each LB of low pectin fruit.

So 3lb cherres and 12 oz grated bramleys to 3lb sugar and the juice of a lemon. Simmer apples in some cherry juice  until pulpy and then add to cherries.

Also slow cooking helps to release what pectin there is.

Another thing you can do before you add the sugar to the cooked fruit is do a pectin test to ensure it has enough to set. I keep a bottle of methylated spirits and add a small teaspoon to some meths and wait a minute or 2. If the liquid is a firm blob of jelly you will get a set. If it spreads and doesn't hold together you will need extra  pectin in the form of lemon.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 09:28 »
Yes but it's not cherry jam then is it? It's cherry & apple jam and the flavour is totally different. I do agree that using apples is a brilliant way to add pectin but not if it totally changes the flavour. I have a great recipe for home made pectin using apples/cores/peel which I can upload if anyone wants it but it still isn't quite as effective as the powder when it is used properly.

It's all a question of taste and what suits one person wont suit another  :)

chrissie B

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 12:30 »
sorry didn't realise the charity element , the sugar price at lidl and aldi are very good at the moment they seem to be out bidding each other .
chrissie b

Mrs Bee

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 13:45 »
Yes but it's not cherry jam then is it? It's cherry & apple jam and the flavour is totally different. I do agree that using apples is a brilliant way to add pectin but not if it totally changes the flavour. I have a great recipe for home made pectin using apples/cores/peel which I can upload if anyone wants it but it still isn't quite as effective as the powder when it is used properly.

It's all a question of taste and what suits one person wont suit another  :)

Yes you are right it  certainly is matter  of taste and preference.
I don't notice any change in flavour when using apples in that ratio. Any more and it does dilute the flavour.  I have made pectin stock using the peel etc but have found the apples easier and also gives a little extra body.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 16:50 »
Hi Chrissie - yes we are so grateful for Aldi & Lidl that's for sure! Makes me laugh really as you know that whatever is on special offer in Aldi's will be on offer at Lidl's the following week. I don't know if it's true but I think they are owned by brothers and there is no love lost between them.

We do a little local pop in market on the 1st Monday of every month (today) at a Community Lounge in our village. It is mainly for the benefit of the local elderly residents but is open to anyone and we really enjoy it there. There are some lovely people who buy from us and the other sellers include the local butcher and bakers and greengrocer. We do small jars and special offers to help keep the costs as low as possible for the residents and they are so appreciative. We take about £30 to £40 most Mondays and virtually all of that goes to the Charities so it is a win win situation and we do have such a laugh. The NHS have a table there for people needing help with their hearing aids - new batteries, replacement bits etc and some of the conversations being 'shouted' at the tops of their voices is hilarious. Lovely people and it always cheers me up after a few hours in their company. For some of the residents it's the only way they can get to do any shopping themselves as a lot are not able to get to the shops without someone to take them.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 16:57 »
I have just made cherry jam with the same results, even though it worked last time. No idea where to get pectin here, so used a couple of apples and lemon juice. The only difference to the last batch was this time I didn't blitz the apple, which I forgot I had done last time.

But you are right, it does change the flavour. I also sell my jam but just tell them it's a soft set....unless they are Bulgarian then they will have to find out themselves!
I meant to say that the pectin powder is in small sachets and very light in weight. You get 3 sachets in each box and if you have any contacts here in UK that could send some to you by post it shouldn't cost too much. Ask them to take the sachets out of the cardboard box and put them in a jiffy bag and you should be able to get quite a few in it. If not let me know and maybe I could help? I paid £1.49 for a box of 3 sachets last time I bought them.

xx
Jam not setting

Started by Webmonster on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 18, 2016, 18:47
by DanielCoffey
xx
Jelly not setting

Started by jaws on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 10:12
by Unclebill
xx
Strawberry Jam setting point?

Started by MoreWhisky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 00:01
by Trig
xx
Recurrent Jelly setting probs

Started by grinling on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2019, 23:00
by grinling

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 37 queries.