TV Licences

• 28 Replies

mrs bouquet

TV Licences
« on: February 11, 2019, 16:41 »
This subject has received a lot of press recently.  Last night:   Pointless Celebrities, repeat.  Countryfile, repeat.   Antiques Roadshow, repeat.   Five Billion Pound Sewer, Repeat..   In the daytime viewing, Homes under the Hammer, repeat.   Porridge, repeat.  Dragons Den, Repeat.
In the end I gave up, and thought I will watch 'Endeavour'.   I was so confused, with him in uniform with a 'tashe, and didn't know who the others were, who is the older man with the hat ???  Gave up on that and watched somethings I had recorded.   Hadn't seen them before, but it was my choice anyway.
I don't think the BBC contributed a lot financially yesterday  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Lardman

Re: TV Licences
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 16:54 »
Can't say I watch live tv anymore, partially because my ageing TV doesn't have a digital tuner but as you say it's full of trash and repeats.  I did treat myself to a netflix subscription at the start of the year, just for a better selection of rubbish to watch.

I don't dare de-register with the Beeb though - you should see volume of harassing letters at ML's empty house ! There's one a month at least, yes I've told them the house is unoccupied and empty but it doesn't stop them.

Christine

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 18:25 »
I've never had a problem with telling the TV licencing people that I don't have a telly. Mind you I've been doing it by email since 1984 or thereabouts at various addresses. Had the detector van at one address - that caused confusion as it was the dreaded radio amateur broadcasting on slow scan and it was worth letting the staff see what was going on - luckily the German radio amateur at the other end spoke decent English and explained the technicalities of not broadcasting on commercial band with while husband got out his rule book.

Elaine G

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 23:20 »
A while ago now, but our daughter moved out of her house, leaving it empty for a while, and transferring her TV licence to her new address.
I was over there late one evening to check all was OK. I had only just closed the front door when the bell rang.
According to our records etc...

Well I swiftly invited him in and suggested he look around. To be honest he looked terrified but he took a look around downstairs. Then I suggested he check the bedrooms. Well he couldn't get out of there fast enough and we didn't hear anything from them again  :lol:

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 11:18 »
We successfully deregistered about ten years ago without issue. We were not watching live TV on either the screen or the computer so we enquired and filled in the form.

We were of course checked after about half a year. They sent two guys round. One chats to you and checks the room, the second guy is just there to watch you. I assume he was looking for furtive glances at cupboard doors and similar.

They seemed very well informed about DVD collections being the sole use for the screen and recently the computer with its collection of films.

After a couple of years we did get a "are you still not viewing?" letter which we completed and since then, nothing. When we moved to our new home we notified them and as far as I know they have not been round to check. We are "three miles past the blasted oak" so that may be a contributing factor.

It is certainly peaceful not having the TV spewing its endless diet of repeats. We don't have Netflix either (because of the whole three miles past the blasted oak rural internet) so we have a small computer hosting all our movie collection attached to an AppleTV tucked behind the main screen. Suits us perfectly.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 21:33 »
Just so you are all aware, you don't have to let them into your house if you don't want to - they have no power of entry.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 23:57 »
We were moving in (a few houses back), the removal van had just departed and we're surrounded by boxes when some officious bumpkin knocked on the door and demanded to see our TV licence. I explained we had only just arrived and had lots to unpack if we were to sleep with blankets that night.
Nevertheless, he required sight of our TV licence.
Please wait whilst I look...
An hour later he knocked on the door again.
I explained there were a lot of boxes to open and put away so it may take days. I think the words moron, fascist and some adjectives that I won't detail here were used.
Oddly enough he never came back. And a few days later the TV Licence turned up.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

grinling

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 20:29 »
Just to say the rules have changed to include netflix and bbc iplayer are all included

Telling us you don't need a TV Licence - TV Licensing ?

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 20:41 »
Just to say the rules have changed to include netflix and bbc iplayer are all included

Telling us you don't need a TV Licence - TV Licensing ?

Only applies if you use the iPlayer. Netflix, Prime, et al are not within the scope of the license fee.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 10:22 »
And to be honest, BBC iPlayer is only behind the License Fee paywall out of pique. If you used it in its catch up function, you should not be required to own a TV License.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 16:04 »
If you used it in its catch up function, you should not be required to own a TV License.

Why's that, Daniel.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 18:10 »
The TV tax is a national disgrace.

The BBC is just not fit for purpose, and the tax should be made 'subscription only', because oldies like Mrs Growster and I never watch anything more than a bit of rugby and - usually sadly - news of the Royals in their dotage.

But as we spend our time reading, gardening, chatting about family and friends all the time, with some evening watching DVDs for an hour or so, the trashy stuff plonked out on live tv never gets a look-in anyway.

Paying three quid a week for unfunny comedians and non-stories sticks in my craw.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 18:23 »
We are told that the TV License Fee is required if you watch live TV as it is broadcast but that catchup services are exempt. Fair enough so far.

The main use of the iPlayer is as a catch up service to allow you to watch recent shows after the original broadcast time. Initially it was correctly categorised as a catch up service so was available to non-license holders.

The BBC have found that increasing numbers of people are becoming non-license holders and getting their fix of repeats from catch up services including the iPlayer.  Providing this catch up service reduces the revenue that they are getting from the License Fee as people switch away from live to catch up so, despite saying that catch up services do not require a license, they shutter the iPlayer behind the full License. You cannot access the iPlayer legally now without a full License... which by their own admission you do not require if you only want to use a catch up service.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 18:31 »
The catch up programmes have still been paid for by the BBC. So I think if you watch them you should pay for them, same as licence payers do  ::)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 18:57 »
The world's changing fast - quite how long the licence model can be sustained when you can get a fantastic choice from Netflix, Amazon, Now TV etc. etc for less money I don't know. BBC news used to have a great reputation for being impartial but recently they appear more and more biased to many people. Plus the waste of money when they send out the newsreader to places like Paris when they have a terrorist incident. Mind you, I didn't see the presenters flying out to Syria ...

On the plus side, BBC radio. :)

xx
driving licences

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post May 08, 2019, 21:09
by jezza

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 55 queries.