A few questions about growing melons

• 1 Replies

Martin

• Experienced Member
« on: April 24, 2007, 22:29 »
I've got two packets of melons seeds that a neighbour brought back from Tenerife. I'm planning to grow them in the ground in the greenhouse. The soil wasn't great (heavy clay) but I've improved it with barrowloads of compost and sharp sand. I've made a 6" high raised bed.

My questions:

1. One packet is Cantaloup Charentais, which I recognise. The other is marked "Bolsa clásica" which I don't recognise. Does anyone know anything about this type of melon? (e.g is it a Persian melon variety - see this article).

2. What planting distance do you recommend? The bed is 6' wide and 4' deep. I'll probably put in a trellis or maybe multiple fan trellises. I'll be planting across the width of the bed.

3. I'm planning to plant sweet peppers and aubergines in front of the melons. Any issues there? I'm aware of a previous discussion about melons and cucumbers.

Thanks
Martin

milkman

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 09:26 »
All sounds good to me.  I have limited melon growing experience - first successes were last year.  

My only advice would be to start them off in 3 inch pots or Rootrainers in the warmth (ideally you will have already got them underway) e.g. I start mine off at home, then transplant them into the greenhouse soil when they are a good size and starting to flower.  

I can vaguely remember that you can pinch out the growing tip when they get to a certain size to encourage side shoots.

Good luck because harvesting and chomping into your first ever home grown melon is something really special  :)
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

xx
Growing Melons in the UK

Started by Debz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 31, 2019, 14:29
by al78
xx
Growing Melons

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 20:42
by kevinp
xx
Growing Melons

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2007, 18:38
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Growing water melons

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2016, 09:48
by jaydig

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 38 queries.