Feeding Pumpkins

• 12 Replies

cluelessnovice

Feeding Pumpkins
« on: April 17, 2020, 13:03 »
Hi, I keep reading so much conflicting info about growing/ feeding pumpkins. Various web articles saying feed nitrogen in the initial growing stage, then phosphorus at flower stage then potassium for fruit phase. However the article in this site suggests just using miracle grow and doesn't mention anything else as far as I can see. I think I will realistically be growing my three plants in big pots as I don't have the space for them in my two raised beds. I think I sewed too early so currently bringing in quite large pumpkin plants each night from the greenhouse 🙈. If I do need to go down the route of different feeds what is a recommended high nitrogen feed? The only feeds I have available is seafeed xtra, tomato feed and miracle grown. Thanks in advance for any help. X

Potterer

• Experienced Member
Re: Feeding Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 13:49 »
Can you get any (well rotted) manure for your pots? I would grow them in that and think they then wouldn’t need feeding.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 15:20 »
I guess the spread of pumpkins will be different depending upon variety, I only have one on my full plot and I have to restrict its growth to keep it within 1/6 of my plot. When planting I just chuck a handful of Growmore around and then just water, a lot, every day. Not sure what I will do this year as I am confined to the house/garden.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 19:25 »
I grow Crown Prince squash which are about the size of a small pumkin.

My method, 2feet wide hole 2 feet deep, fill with well rotten muck. Plants are well watered for the first two weeks then slowly reduce unless really hot. I then start to feed Maxicrop once a week until fruit appears then I just make sure they are kept watered.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Ema

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 13:10 »
If you’re after a regular pumpkin to enjoy in autumn and your plan is to grow in pots. I would just use an organic compost, then when the plants flower start to feed weekly with an organic or home made liquid feed. no point growing them to pump them full of sugar

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 19:21 »
we grow  quite a few pumpkins we won first at the local pumpkin show last year all our squashes are grown using horse manure some are planted on the heap of manure and some in the open ground  and that's all we don't use any supplementary feed the seed is raised in the greenhouse prior to planting out down the allotments

when we plant the pumpkin plants out in the allotments we  just make hole and fill it with well rotted horse manure and leave it to its own devises  apart from weeding round the plants

OakR

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 22:44 »
I had a great year last year and as above I just made a hole, filled with manure and no feeding. I did water approximately every 2-3 days dependant on the weather, I had them slightly raised but with a little moat around them so the water would go straight down as oppose to run off everywhere.

cluelessnovice

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 10:36 »
Ok thanks. Sounds like manure is the answer. I actually noticed some going for free down the lane when on our daily walk.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 13:53 »
Ok thanks. Sounds like manure is the answer. I actually noticed some going for free down the lane when on our daily walk.

You just need to be a bit careful with manure that it hasn't come from cows etc. who have eaten grass treated with the aminopyralid family of herbicides / weedkillers.  The risk these days is relatively low, but if you can't check with the farmer then the risk does remain.

These herbicides affect certain groups of veg plants more than others. I do remember that tomatoes and beans were affected, but hopefully others will remember whether the squash family of plants were immune or not.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 19:24 »
yes your rite Yorkie i hadn't thought of that because all my horse manure is free from the weedkillers you mentioned and i can't remember if the squash family is immune so yes its worth checking on this before using

AnneB

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 23:11 »
I always put a good amount of well rotted manure underneath where I plant.   I water regularly and give them a feed of comfrey tea now and again as they grow.  It seems to do the trick.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 23:24 »

Another thing to take in account is how far North you are, Pumpkins love a bit of heat and sunshine, something you'll be lacking later on in the season.

AnneB

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 13:07 »

Another thing to take in account is how far North you are, Pumpkins love a bit of heat and sunshine, something you'll be lacking later on in the season.
Ormskirk should be fine for pumpkins, we manage them fine high up in Yorkshire where I think it is probably a bit colder.  Choose a sunny spot.

xx
Feeding Pumpkins...

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 17:57
by Trillium
xx
feeding pumpkins

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2013, 15:39
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Force feeding Pumpkins

Started by brucesgirl on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 15:32
by Aidy
xx
pumpkins pumkins and more pumpkins

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 25, 2019, 23:30
by Flowertot

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 48 queries.