its been three year since i washed my hair!

• 57 Replies

maxyboo

Re: its been three year since i washed my hair!
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 14:15 »
Just out of interest Rachel, I assume you don't use any other type of hair product either? (Or is that a silly question :))
I think my major problem, once I had gotten past the initial greasy feeling, would be odours. I work at an animal sanctuary which leaves me pretty smelly at times. However the foxes we have can stink to high heaven. The smell seems to invade all my pores! and I'm not sure how I could remove the stench without a good blob of cheapo shampoo.
 On the subject of dry shampoo, I can remember people using talc on their hair as a cheaper alternative. It used to absorb the grease. I'm not sure they would advise this now due to inhaling it. :)

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 18:13 »
Just out of interest Rachel, I assume you don't use any other type of hair product either? (Or is that a silly question :))
I think my major problem, once I had gotten past the initial greasy feeling, would be odours. I work at an animal sanctuary which leaves me pretty smelly at times. However the foxes we have can stink to high heaven. The smell seems to invade all my pores! and I'm not sure how I could remove the stench without a good blob of cheapo shampoo.
 On the subject of dry shampoo, I can remember people using talc on their hair as a cheaper alternative. It used to absorb the grease. I'm not sure they would advise this now due to inhaling it. :)

or snorting it maxy as my local paper states 2 kids where  :nowink:  :nowink:
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2012, 20:11 »
Not sure about the foxes the smelliest job I do is barrowing horse muck at the lotty which isn't near my hair. Some people use bicarb followed by a cider vinager rinse. I've not tried it as wanted to get away from having long wet hair everywhere  especially in the winter.

When it been really hot, once apon a time, about twice i've rinsed it rain water but that was to cool me down and get rid of those horrible itchy  thunder flies.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2012, 20:59 »
I'm with everyone that couldn't / wouldn't give up shampoo, but I only wash my hair every other day or every 3 days at most otherwise my scalp gets itchy. 

There's a lot of people (some on here too ;) ) who say that if they don't wash their hair every day it becomes greasy perhaps should just was theirs every other day too;  true for the first few tries your hair may appear to be oily but it's just your body overproducing the oils that your hair needs that are being washed out every day so it does settle down, and consider if you are only washing your hair every other day instead of every day, you'll double how long your shampoo lasts, which effectively means you're halving the cost :D

Good on you for trying something different though Rachelk - glad it's working for you :)

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 21:04 »
I agree Snoozisue I only ever washed my hair once a week before then as Thats how i was brought up as kids we had a bath and hair wash on sunday. Your hair tries to balance its self the more you wash the more your scalp compensates to replce the oils

Agatha

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 16:36 »
I tried the no hair wash a few years ago, but my hair was still horrible after a few weeks & I couldn't cope any more.  Tried it because I was having trouble finding a shampoo that didn't bring me out in a rash.  It did work in a way though, because once I went back to washing my hair, I had much less trouble with rashes. :D
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

allot2learn

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 17:22 »
I've grown through mine. I just give my scalp a polish every morning.  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Agatha

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2012, 13:23 »
If this rain continues much longer, I'll be pulling mine out by the roots through sheer frustration at not being able to garden...at least it'll solve the hair-washing thing!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 14:10 »
I admire you for doing that Rachel.  I do remember reading about it, but never had the nerve to try it myself.

I only wash my hair twice a week or it gets very greasy.  My OH only washes his hair about every 3 months, but that is laziness.  But it certainly messes up my bedlinen as he has greasy hair!  >:(

grinling

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 15:04 »
Children have showers after games at school, so trying to without shampoo. So far 2 weeks, hair  looks normal not greasy, daughter has long hair so brushing twice a day.

edessex

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 18:42 »
Any more than a couple of days and mine drives me round the bend.  I can't stand greasy hair, and I end up scratching my scalp up!

I know someone who doesn't wash her hair, apparently she has lice a lot, and her hair looks a state.  But in fairness that might be because she also never brushes it!

As far as smell goes... I've not worked with foxes much, but as a gardener I've lugged many bags of manure around, normally over the shoulder, and that smell lingers in my hair!

Personally I'd rather use value shampoo than nothing, but as I've got short hair I don't have the drying issues, and it only takes a minute to wash!

evie2

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 13:24 »
What an interesting thread :)  All our children have thick hair but one of our daughters has unbelievably thick hair, the hair dresser would allot 3 times as much time for her hair than anyone else :(  She used to wash it once a week but the drying took so long (it's almost at her waist) she began washing it less frequently.  It's now been unwashed for 5 weeks and looks fabulous.  I think the smell issue is more to do with not smelling of shampoo and conditioner than of smelly hair.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Gwiz

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 16:10 »
I tried the same thing a couple of years ago. I stopped washing my hair with shampoos and only used water under the shower. It was a little grim at first but went fine after a month or so. I only started using shampoo again as the nature of my job meant that sometimes I'd end up brushing my hair against something very greasy or oily under a tractor or some-such and the only way of getting the grime out was with a detergent.

jamima

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2012, 22:25 »
Cant think of anything worse than not washing my hair for 3 years :ohmy:, but each to their own Rachel, i'd like to see a pic of your hair, just out of interest as i am in the hair business, and if i was cutting it and you said you had'nt washed it for that long, i would'nt have touched it, but as long as you like it, it your business , and dry shampoo these days has much improved . :)

xx
How I get free tomatoes every year!

Started by EJCTM on Frugal Living

14 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 17:44
by DD.
xx
It's that time of year again - Wyevale 50p sale

Started by B_and_D on Frugal Living

23 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 23:33
by Lloyd
xx
What time of year do the seed companies start their sale?

Started by LivvyW on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 17:49
by DD.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 39 queries.