cheap alternatives to stakes and trellis?

• 4 Replies

peanut

• Experienced Member
cheap alternatives to stakes and trellis?
« on: March 25, 2009, 19:27 »
I've seen in my local farm shop Electric fence posts with hooks all the way down.  It seems to me I could use these to string up for supporting peas or with the 6' ones, maybe even runner beans with a net hung from them.  They seem very strudy and are £1 each for 4' height and £2:35 for the 6' ones.

Do you think they would be worth trying? - cheaper than trellacing and much easier to transport to my plot.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 19:55 by Ice »
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

Stripey_cat

Re: cheap alternatives to stakes and trellace?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 19:46 »
Do you mean the metal T-posts?  They should be fine, but do wrap the tops in something colourful and padded, as you can get nasty injuries if you tangle with one.

Trillium

Re: cheap alternatives to stakes and trellis?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 02:59 »
Definitely go for it. I use all sorts of things from purchased vinyl coated supports to lengths of galvanized pipe. If you feel some metal or plastic items are a bit gaudy, then buy a can of spray paint for metal or plastic in a brown or green colour and no one will notice your eclectic selection  ;) As for trellises and such, I keep watch for any damaged lattice going cheap at my lumber stores, I'll use various nettings to hold peas and such - season end sales are the best and I really stock up. THis past winter I got 2 carrier bags stuffed with 4-5 ft lengths of poly twine when a garden centre unpacked their live Christmas trees.  Last year I needed sturdy plant supports so I found who had the cheapest 2x4x8's and I bought a load which I ran lengthwise on the table saw into 2x2's far cheaper than purchasing them that way. Auctions can yield some good finds. I got some old turned porch posts from a friend who was throwing them out and they're now refinished as vine supports. Mostly, it's just keeping your eyes open for anything that can be useful.

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 16:44 »
I've seen in my local farm shop Electric fence posts with hooks all the way down.  It seems to me I could use these to string up for supporting peas or with the 6' ones, maybe even runner beans with a net hung from them.  They seem very strudy and are £1 each for 4' height and £2:35 for the 6' ones.

Do you think they would be worth trying? - cheaper than trellacing and much easier to transport to my plot.

The normal plastic posts for electric fencing are not very rigid, the weight of peas or runner beans would probably pull it down. I am lucky, in that I inherited about 36 steel reinforcing rods (for concrete) from my father. I set up a frame with 2 rods 24" apart and tied together at the top. This is repeated at about 7ft intervals. Then "rails" of rods are tied in the top "X" to make the horizontal supports. Bracing rods are tied in to prevent "rocking". Then "Bale" string is tied in for individual support for plants. The bottom support for the strings is a string between the vertical rods a few inches above the ground. The rods are over fifty years old.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 16:45 by Larkshall »

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 17:12 »
thanks all

The ones I've seen are very sturdy 1" thick metal poles, and coated in a nice green plastic so they won't look out of place. 

At the end of the day. I think I'll go for it for a tenner.  If they're not strong enough, i can use them for something else.

xx
Metal Poles As Stakes??

Started by PembsPanther on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 23:35
by Elaine G
xx
I'm so cheap...

Started by leeky on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2007, 04:46
by leeky
xx
Going cheap....

Started by snowdrops on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2016, 19:56
by snowdrops
xx
cheap cheap

Started by flowergirl on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 19:11
by flowergirl

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 33 queries.