Budget Meals (The Forum Way).

• 43 Replies

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
Re: Budget Meals (The Forum Way).
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 12:37 »
This isn't exactly a meal idea, but it is a tip that saves money on buying food so I'm hoping it's allowed on this thread?

Cheapo tin of baked beans magically turns into fantastically tasting expensive tin of beans if you add a decent knob of butter to the pan whilst heating.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 13:34 »
This isn't exactly a meal idea, but it is a tip that saves money on buying food so I'm hoping it's allowed on this thread?
Cheapo tin of baked beans magically turns into fantastically tasting expensive tin of beans if you add a decent knob of butter to the pan whilst heating.
:tongue2: :D

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

compostqueen

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 13:39 »
Which is why I hope we support the use of a basic store of ingredients, butter is a good one. Black pepper is another. Both are vital in livening up baked beans. Chilli or curry power being two more :)  My husband adds HP to his beans which makes me cringe but he swears by it  :)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 13:41 »
Which is why I hope we support the use of a basic store of ingredients, butter is a good one. Black pepper is another. Both are vital in livening up baked beans. Chilli or curry power being two more :)  My husband adds HP to his beans which makes me cringe but he swears by it  :)

Hubby uses worchestershire sauce to his too.  :mellow: not sure about it but he says its great.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 13:43 »
This is one of my favourites for anyone who likes mashed potato but is short of time/energy and it's quite frugal too.  Just don't knock it unless you try it!  ;)

I buy boxes of Mr Mash instant mashed potato.   :ohmy:  I confess, I would have shuddered at the thought a while back but it really does taste homemade (nothing like the powdery gloop from Smash). 

It doesn't even have any salt in it so you add your own, along with some milk, boiling water and a knob of butter.

3 sachets to a box (2 generous portions per sachet) and it normally cost me £1 a box. 

I use it for last minute mash, with chees and a dollop of branston for a snack and it's also good for thickening soups (or a quick leek & potato).  :tongue2:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 13:45 »
My husband adds HP to his beans which makes me cringe but he swears by it  :)

Worcestershire sauce- essential in beans.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 13:49 »
Yes he does Worcestershire sauce too. He likes beans full stop  :D  We must add baked beans to the store cupboard or is it already in by default  :tongue2:

madcat

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 15:15 »
We were away camping - bacon and (basic) baked beans for breakfast, only I hadn't brought the worcestershire sauce (well, would you?).  Tricky.  :unsure:  A good glug of ketchup saved the day!   ;)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Lardman

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 15:30 »
Beans need Tabasco... and even branston pickle.

Not a meal in itself (at least I think not)  - but we could add veg fried rice. When there are no plot veggies to dice a bag of cheap own brand frozen mixed veg is the ideal size and can be chucked in frozen. Would need to add light soy / long grain rice to the store cupboard.

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 16:48 »
I use a tin of baked beans, tin of chopped toms, splash of Worchester sauce, crushed garlic clove or 2, black pepper and salt to make a quick, easy and tasty sauce to mix pasta into.  Goes nicely with warm bread or a crusty roll  :D

You can also add anchovies if you like them but don't put extra salt in if you use the tinned ones as otherwise it just to much  :wacko:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 22:33 »
HA CQ, we said before they are alike!  Brian also puts HP on his beans!   :lol: :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 08:53 »
 :D   My brother used to put it on his fish. My mother used to go mad :ohmy:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 12:01 »
I really like Jack's meals - all costed out, all veeeerrry budget friendly - given that she has/had £10 per week they had to be: http://agirlcalledjack.com/tag/recipes/

The garlic soda bread is amazing : http://agirlcalledjack.com/2013/09/02/easy-peasy-garlic-bread/

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 12:49 »
I've just looked at some of her recipes they look nice, but the trouble is what she thinks would serve one wouldn't be enough for me  - let alone for a working man  :blink:

Her Earthy Red Wine & Mushroom Risotto uses 50g of rice, and there's only 75g of pasta in the cheese and peas dish - it sounds like a weight loss diet to me  :(

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 13:01 »
She only has £10/week. It's not weight loss, it's being poor. Portion sizes change a bit when you are that skint. I was very skinny when I was unemployed.

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 38 queries.