Budget Meals (The Forum Way).

• 43 Replies

Auntiemogs

Budget Meals (The Forum Way).
« on: September 02, 2013, 22:14 »
I know that there have been several threads devoted to cooking thriftily, I just thought it would be nice to have one that was devoted to the 'tips and tricks' that we use to stretch our (ever diminishing) pound.  :) 

I'm also going to start one for those amongst us who need to consider expenditure not just financially but also due to time/physical constraints (long working hours/illness).

So, I shall kick off (if I may) with a tip I'll copy over to the other thread (when I make it) as there is a time constraint.

Tescies have a half price offer on their pork joints at the moment.  I plonk mine in my slow cooker with some pepper and an inch of boiling water/stock (if you use a slow cooker, please check your instructions as I don't want to poison anyone  ;).  It probably says brown it first but I don't tend to bother.) but you could also slow roast it.  I then let it rest while I use the juices and pork stock cubes (or chicken and beef 50/50 if I've run out) to make a gravy (plenty of gravy) and freeze in portions.  Can be defrosted in microwave quite quickly or slowly brought to a boil in a saucepan.

A quick, tasty meal at less than £1 a portion (and I am quite generous with my portions as my son is a meat eater). :-)

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
Re: Budget Meals (The Forum Way).
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 22:18 »
Love it... i just suggested something similar under the Jamie thread in chatting on the plot.
Except i'd suggested putting it under cooking / storing / preserving.

Are recipes allowed in this thread?
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 22:28 »
Oh crikey MJ, now you've got me stumped!  ::)  I shall mail John and ask him, but if you have a tasty AND frugal recipe, it would be nice if you had the time to do both for now. :-)

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 22:32 »
I shall spend some time tomorrow trying to "recipe" some of our frugal & tasty batch recipes.
Most are made by look / feel, and only when items are on "special" or found in the reduced chiller.

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 09:09 »
This is one of my favourite winter warmers and if you grow your own veggies makes an even more economical meal. Although it takes quite a long time to cook it does not involve a lot of work - the amounts can be adjusted to suit the size of your family - I normally just make for the two of us.

Shin of beef soup

Place a medium size shin of beef in a large pot and 3/4 cover with water - bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and skim off any froth. Simmer for about an hour and then add about 5/6 tablespoons of soup and broth mix (thoroughly washed) to the broth. Simmer for about a further one and a half hours and then add your choice of veggies and some salt and pepper to taste.  I usually add a couple of carrots and let them simmer for about 15 minutes, next some celery and then about 10 minutes later at least two good sized leeks which cook for a further 10/15 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy.

Sometimes I add parsnips but they can make the soup taste quite sweet - I also occasionally add potatoes but you have to take care not to use floury ones or they break up in the soup.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06 »
Bitza frittata....or omelette if short of eggs. All your odds and ends of veg from the fridge, and/or the bits in the bottom of the bag in the freezer. Blanch any hard veg like carrots and parsnips, saute all together, add beaten egg and any odd bits of cheese and cook over a slow heat. With toast or bread, yum.

brianbishop

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:42 »
Turkey Leg, Under£4, skin and strip drum stick takes me about 10 mins. dice and do what you fancy, I usually make a curry, at least 4 portions fom this, bone and skin thigh and do whatever you fancy.Another 4 portions.Very tasty meat(compared with breast)al l in all 8 portions @50p .
Bish

Sparkyrog

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 22:12 »
Turkey Leg, Under£4, skin and strip drum stick takes me about 10 mins. dice and do what you fancy, I usually make a curry, at least 4 portions fom this, bone and skin thigh and do whatever you fancy.Another 4 portions.Very tasty meat(compared with breast)al l in all 8 portions @50p .
Bish
Yes I bone them out tie them up and use for a midweek roast  :)
I cook therefore I grow

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 23:15 »
Some of our turkey legs go into my sausages and burgers!

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 04:02 »
 Soak and cook a large batch of beans and peas and freeze loads cheaper than tinned. Add to meat or vegetarian dishes.

I always forget to getthings out the night before.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

brianbishop

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 09:48 »
REF Turkey Legs.
Forgot to mention ---- crack leg and thigh bones to make turkey stock for soup!!
Bish

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 09:56 »
I often add pulses, especially red lentils, to minced meat dishes and casseroles to stretch them  ;)

Springlands

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 10:11 »
I often add pulses, especially red lentils, to minced meat dishes and casseroles to stretch them  ;)

Oh you have just reminded me of another soup that we eat on a regular basis.

Lentil and leek soup (this serves two rather greedy people)

6 ozs of red lentils
Approx 1 1/2 pints of water
A good quality veggie stock cube
Salt and pepper to taste
Veggies of your choice - I usually add carrots, celery, possibly some potatoes and lots of leeks

Rinse the lentils well and add to the water - bring to the boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Add peeled and finely chopped carrot and diced potato if using. After about 10 minutes add the finely chopped celery and finally after a further 10 minutes the leeks. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley to serve.

I do not add any meat to the soup but if there is anything lurking in the fridge OH likes it added to his serving.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 11:14 »

I add grated courgette to mince dishes amazing what you can grate/ hide in mince.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 12:12 »
Soak and cook a large batch of beans and peas and freeze loads cheaper than tinned. Add to meat or vegetarian dishes.
I always forget to getthings out the night before.
Ah, I couldn't remember who I got the idea from MC so thanks.  I've frozen mine in 'tin size' portions.  :)

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.