re using compost

• 25 Replies

Zippy

Re: re using compost
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 01:39 »
Last year's compost which grew onions, beans and carrots in containers will be mashed down and put into a black bag to grow a couple of potato plants this year, then onto the compost heap with it for year three.

Stoatus

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 11:09 »
This year I have microwaved the compost from last year's containers to sterilize it and am using it for potting on seedlings, and also underneath John Innes No. 1 for germinating seedlings. Will let you know how I get on later.
Organic

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 18:05 »
This year I have microwaved the compost from last year's containers to sterilize it and am using it for potting on seedlings, and also underneath John Innes No. 1 for germinating seedlings. Will let you know how I get on later.

I'm not sure my OH would be delighted by the idea of compost in the new combination microwave ??? especially as ours hasn't a button for compost  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 19:13 »
You need to be really careful sterilising organic matter in the microwave like that - it can ignite ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 19:16 »
You need to be really careful sterilising organic matter in the microwave like that - it can ignite ...

I agree.

Soil is usually sterilised by passing it under infrared heaters, or baking it in a conventional heat oven.

Im not entirely sure what differences you are making to the substrate structure with microwaves over IR heat.

Mark-S

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 19:42 »
It'll be full of fine roots and root hairs. You could mix it with some of soil conditioner such as dried farm manure, or mix it about 4:1 with compost off the compost heap and use it for potting on, or for hanging baskets, but by far and away the best use is to use it as bulker on the compost heap with layers of horse poo and rotting veg.

No poo in our compost thank you.... we are totally orgasmic organic  ;)

Definition of 'organic' in respect to growing food:

Under organic production, the use of conventional non-organic pesticides, insecticides and herbicides is greatly restricted and saved as a last resort. However, contrary to popular belief, certain non-organic fertilizers are still used. If livestock are involved, they must be reared without the routine use of antibiotics and without the use of growth hormones, and generally fed a healthy diet. In most countries, organic produce may not be genetically modified. It has been suggested that the application of nanotechnology to food and agriculture is a further technology that needs to be excluded from certified organic food.  The Soil Association has been the first organic certifier to implement a nano-exclusion.

Cant get more organic than poo from grass fed horses.

I think that is the Soil association dictat sorry guidelines for 'organic'.
To me organic means growing crops using traditional Crop Husbandry methods, FYM is by its nature organic as it is a natural product as opposed to inorganic fertilisers which are 'man-made'
If we have to sell to SA or UKROF standards then yes we do need to think about anti-biotics, and indeed the fungicides applied to the straw the animals are bed onto.  But most allotmenteers are simply growing for friends, family and fun.

I juts don't think we need to get too wrapped up rules and regs for our own hobby.
just my opinion, naturally.....

its nice to be important, but it more important to be nice......

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 20:42 »
It'll be full of fine roots and root hairs. You could mix it with some of soil conditioner such as dried farm manure, or mix it about 4:1 with compost off the compost heap and use it for potting on, or for hanging baskets, but by far and away the best use is to use it as bulker on the compost heap with layers of horse poo and rotting veg.

No poo in our compost thank you.... we are totally orgasmic organic  ;)

Definition of 'organic' in respect to growing food:

Under organic production, the use of conventional non-organic pesticides, insecticides and herbicides is greatly restricted and saved as a last resort. However, contrary to popular belief, certain non-organic fertilizers are still used. If livestock are involved, they must be reared without the routine use of antibiotics and without the use of growth hormones, and generally fed a healthy diet. In most countries, organic produce may not be genetically modified. It has been suggested that the application of nanotechnology to food and agriculture is a further technology that needs to be excluded from certified organic food.  The Soil Association has been the first organic certifier to implement a nano-exclusion.

Cant get more organic than poo from grass fed horses.

I think that is the Soil association dictat sorry guidelines for 'organic'.
To me organic means growing crops using traditional Crop Husbandry methods, FYM is by its nature organic as it is a natural product as opposed to inorganic fertilisers which are 'man-made'
If we have to sell to SA or UKROF standards then yes we do need to think about anti-biotics, and indeed the fungicides applied to the straw the animals are bed onto.  But most allotmenteers are simply growing for friends, family and fun.

I juts don't think we need to get too wrapped up rules and regs for our own hobby.
just my opinion, naturally.....

The implication from Learner was that the use of horse poo isnt organic, which is totally incorrect, as  I said, you cant get any more organic than manure from grass fed horses.

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 22:50 »
I do love being totally incorrect sometimes  :)

But, BostonInbred, might it depend upon what the animals ate before producing the organic manure?

Just occasionally they eat vegetation containing all sorts of unwanted chemicals that pass straight through them and out the other end (as is natural) and then... along "we" come with our wheel-barrows and plonk the lot on our plots...

Has been known to have disastrous effects!  :(

But if you want to be right - that's fine by me  ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 22:52 by Learner »

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 22:53 »
I do love being totally incorrect sometimes  :)

But, BostonInbred, might it depend upon what the animals ate before producing the organic manure?

Just occasionally they eat vegetation containing all sorts of unwanted chemicals that pass straight through them and out the other end (as is natural) and then... along "we" come with our wheel-barrows and plonk the lot on our plots...

Has been known to have disastrous effects!  :(

But if you want to be right - that's fine by me  ;)

well that is true. I get horse poo from private meadow grazed horses, and i know its good stuff and no nasties, i guess thats all you can do really :D

Stoatus

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 07:47 »
Hi Yorkie

Do you have experience of this? I have found advice from gardeners and nurseries on other blogs that recommend using microwaves, but none that warn of the danger of the whole lot catching fire.

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 10:12 »
Hi Yorkie

Do you have experience of this? I have found advice from gardeners and nurseries on other blogs that recommend using microwaves, but none that warn of the danger of the whole lot catching fire.

Compost factories use infrared heaters to dry compost. Microwaves work by exciting the water molecules to generate heat internally, and since peat is burnt as a fuel, i agree  theres a distinct possibility of it catching fire. better to stick it on a tray in a  conventional oven where the temperature is limited. Microwaves will heat endlessly without limit and so it will be possible to reach the combustion point eventually.

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 34 queries.