HELP!! Dog has eaten fly trap.

• 10 Replies

Flowerpower136

HELP!! Dog has eaten fly trap.
« on: October 07, 2010, 16:09 »
Have just found the remains of an unused red top fly trap in Maddy's bed.  From what I can see from the web, the bait is non toxic and eco safe.  So I'm guessing there should be no ill effects?

Can anyone reassure me, I'm just getting an answer machine at the suppliers.

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
Re: HELP!! Dog has eaten fly trap.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 16:19 »
Oh heck.  Hope you get some good news soon to put your mind at rest.

Flowerpower136

Re: Red Top Fly Catcher - Dog has eaten it?!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 16:53 »
Panic over.  Have just spoken with supplier.  Bait is purely protein, nothing nasty in it at all.

But perhaps a warning to all of you who use them, to keep them out of reach of pets . . . just because they are so TASTY!!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 16:58 »
That must be a relief! :)

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 17:08 »
Wonderful news.  You must be so relieved.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 17:12 »
Can't tell you what a relief.  I could weep, I'm all of a shake.

2nd time we've had a panic like this with her.  Last time she stole a whole months worth of Rymydil pallatable tablets from out of my bag which I'd left on the kitchen table.  The vet had dispensed them in a plastic pouch and she must have been able to smell them.

It was touch and go.  Stomache pump and 3 days in hospital, and then not certain for a week if organs might fail or not. 

Think I must be the worst dog owner in the world.  Good job I never had kids.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 20:08 »
Don't be daft. Those tablets are very palatable and your dog is not the first to "enjoy" them. As  I said to someone else recently who had the same thing happen, luckily with similar results, treat it as a lesson learned. I'm sure, like her, you are a wonderful owner or you wouldn't have picked up a problem so soon.
Give Maddy a hug from us...and give yourself one gor being a caring owner. :)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 08:56 »
Thanks Tosca, was feeling horribly guilty for storing such things within her reach.  Never occurred to me that she'd be attracted to the bait.  Should have known really, anything nasty and smelly, and she's in there!

Anyway this morning, all is well.  She had hiccups after her breakfast, but apart from that it's business as usual.  She's an RSPCA staffie 'mix-up', so luckily has a cast iron constitution.

Those palatable tabs should come with a warning?  Or vets should be very clear that they must only be dispensed in bottles and not polythene pouches?  They are just like dog treats, but lethal in the quantity she ate.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 20:29 »
Don't beat yourself up about it - I'm convinced there's something in bull terrier (or is that terror, lol) make-up that makes them want to eat absolutely everything that they shouldn't... and generally get away with it!

Mum and Dad have got an English Bull Terrier (Rosie) and she eats anything - the more smelly and disgusting the better.  You've really got to watch her when you take her for a walk as it's like a walking buffet if there are any dead things lying around.

The only thing I've known her not eat that she got in her mouth was a dead mole...
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 20:54 »
Cannot decide whether your dog is smart or plain lazy,
eat fly bait and just lay there with the mouth open,
non of this chasing flies about mullarkey. :)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 10:37 »
Not lazy.  It took some effort to extract the package from underneath a giant tub of diatom.  And everything is hidden under the sink behind a snazzy curtain.  So credit where it's due! :lol:

Irony is that she is bonkers mad terrified of flies.  Anything that buzzes or flaps sends her cowering to the cellar.

Must have just been one of those snack attack moments.

Anyway, she's fine, or at least no different to normal. ::)

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 39 queries.