Allotment Association building

• 7 Replies

compostqueen

Allotment Association building
« on: September 10, 2010, 12:26 »
How is your allotment association building lit or heated?  I just wondered as we are facing upgrading our current arrangements and I'd like to know what the general thoughts are on the safest way to heat, light and boil a kettle for our tea would be, either by installing a new electricity supply or a proper LPG installation. I favour a new electricity supply but wondered what other people to or what their experiences are

thanks  :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Allotment Association building
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 23:18 »
On problem suffered by many allotment sites is vandalism and LPG is more vulnerable to that than electricity.

If you can keep the cylinders secure then you might find it worthwhile lighting via solar power. The latest LED lights give an incredible level of light for very little power. Might be worth asking the energy saving trust & the lottery fund about grants.

Boiling a kettle uses a lot of power relative to lighting, so probably have to go for mains power if you have electric kettles. On the other hand, if you're building from scratch and can face the roof to the south then it might be worth looking at feed in tariffs - not only supplying power for the shed but making some money for the site.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 10:28 »
It's a real worry as we have limited funds and even less manpower. We're thinking of having nothing.  Nothing is preferable to dodgy gas installations  :(  Whatever we have has to be installed correctly so it can be tested annual to ensure we comply with our insurance obligations

noshed

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 17:20 »
Has anybody got a source for shed building plans? We want to build a bigger shop over the winter and the Last of the Summer Wine lads want to build it themselves. They are completely incapable of following instructions, being men, but they might look at plans. I will need to order the timber for them so I'll need some sort of list.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

noshed

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 15:25 »
Phew - we've ordered a ready-made Tiger one. Hope it's as sturdy as advertised. I hope the rows will be less fierce, after all there's only a base to make and the shed to put together...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 15:57 »
We have mains electricity but have to shop around carefully all the time for the right tariff, as the daily standing charge can really eat up association funds (as it's a non-residential building all tariffs include the SC).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 10:08 »
We're managing with nothing at the moment and I have to say that it has had its benefits as no-one gathers in there drinking tea, clogging up the shop, deterring paying customers

Caltrad

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 19:52 »
How about a calor heater or two? They can usually be picked up for free, in the spring, on Freegle/Freecycle etc?

Not very nick-able and if it does get pinched all you have lost is the price of the gas.

Likewise a gas camping stove or gas powered tea urn would be great for drinks. Ebay is a good bet for these.

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 38 queries.