Tried and tested slow cooker curry ?

• 5 Replies

Lardman

Tried and tested slow cooker curry ?
« on: April 12, 2018, 22:53 »
I have the curry munchies but I just can't makes the time to sort it properly at the moment. Does anyone have a tried and tested, sure fire, slow cooker curry recipe ?  my attempts have been - rather meh. Lamb, chicken,  beef or even veggie not fussed ,just nothing with a creamy base.

If I don't get a hit soon , I'll have to buy a supermarket ready meal  :ohmy:  ::)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Tried and tested slow cooker curry ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 10:21 »
Funny you should ask this question Lardman as it is something we have been experimenting with recently and there are some pointers available as a result:

1. Don't overcook it, as overcooked meat doe snot have a good texture. 5hrs was enough for chicken, for example, and about 8 for beef. haven't done lamb, that next on our list when we get home (away in wettest Wales right now and using the s/c a fai bit

2. Fry the onions and spices as usual and brown the meat for the best flavour. We use normal recipes. Having some spices and maybe extra onions to fry and add before serving livens it up a bit too, and allows any correction of heat to your own taste... obviously upwards ..

3. Anything like yoghourt or cream add shortly before serving to avoid is separating and looking unpleasant

4. Use about a third of the liquid you would normally. If it is too runny though cook on high for a while with the lid off

5. Adding a veg like potato does also help thicken up the sauce, or rolling the meat in cornflour before frying helps too.

6. If you want to add green veg like peas or spinach, put them in for the last ten to fifteen minutes

Hope that helps a bit.  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Eblana

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 10:50 »
I bought a slow cooker last week because I am home alone at the moment and when I come in from the plot I am so hungry that I am either only having sandwiches or ordering takeaway.  I am hoping to start leaving stuff in the slow cooker and have it ready when I come in from the plot.    Thankfully I read Sunshines response because I assumed that you used normal recipies and put all the liquid in, will cut back on the liquid and see how it goes.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 11:50 »
This is a curry with coconut milk, so Lardman may not like it, but Tadpole's recipe here for red curry is a winner in our house  :D

Slow cooker in Cooking, Storing and Preserving - Page 2 of 3

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 14:16 »
I am hoping to start leaving stuff in the slow cooker and have it ready when I come in from the plot.   

I love mine so much I bought another one  :D It does the "sunday lunch" meat most weeks and a normally a few casserole type meals during the week.  I think they're wonderful for those of us of an age where chewy meat isn't much fun anymore.

If you're not a veggie, I can recommend just lobbing a whole medium chicken in breast down for 8 hours on low, no other messing needed. You'll get 2 real meals from the breasts and plenty of chicken pickings for other things, like pie, curry or pasta.

I just can't get the cohesion right in the currys, they just taste like spicy meat, nothing wrong with them just not what I'm after  :blush: Your findings Sunny were about the same as mine, the problem being prep time again, If I had time to brown meat and fry onions Id do my standard curry using the base sauce.  I need a lob it in and leave it meal.  :( It also has to hold well incase I get caught up for an hour or 2 at ML's and don't get back on time.

Im not a big cream curry fan and I've had to buy the curry paste ( don't worry I went in a disguise) but ML thought it would be worth a go, so who am I to argue.  :lol:

lettice

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 11:14 »
Love my slow cooker too, mostly casseroles.
Have tried it for currys in the past, it did not seem to work well.
But always use the leftover roast meat from the weekend for our curries, so do prefer making a curry in a pan, with a pre made sauce taht have done in a slow cooker.
Think its the best way for a slow cooker is to make a curry sauce in it, freeze and reheat the sauce with meat and veg later.

Have though recently made a great chilli a few times with minced beef, onions, garlic, plum toms, my frozen tom puree.
All fried till minced and onion browned and then added to slow cooker with cumin, chill powder, worcester sauce and fresh herbs for 4-5 hours.
About an hour to go, add beans and mushrooms. I've used my garden frozen borlotti beans and broad beans, instead of the kidney beans that noone really likes.
It was a great incentive for me to grow more of those bollotti beans that were a great success growing last year.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:18 by lettice »

xx
Help with slow cooker

Started by Spana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

43 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 14:14
by tadpole
xx
Ham in slow cooker

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 27, 2008, 17:43
by Aidy
xx
Slow Cooker

Started by Heifer73 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

53 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 11:56
by noshed
xx
Slow-cooker

Started by blackhobbescat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 21:48
by Sally A

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 45 queries.