Woodburning stoves, installation etc etc!!

• 10 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Woodburning stoves, installation etc etc!!
« on: October 02, 2011, 19:52 »
We're fed up of a burnt carpet so are plumping for a Morso squirrel 1410. However, most HETAS installers here in West Kent (bar one) will only fit the gear they supply (usually at inflated prices)
Can anyone recommend any good installers here in Kent area please if possible

asd1

• Experienced Member
Re: Woodburning stoves, installation etc etc!!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 20:04 »
We put our own in it's fairly easy just google it

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 20:15 »
We put our own in it's fairly easy just google it
Hmmm, it SOUNDS easy but getting the council man to sign it off is fairly expensive and nothing is ever as easy and straightforward as it appears!

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 23:28 »
Have you googled for Hetas installers near you? 

You could get the gear and let them install it for you.  I found this site very helpful indeed and they will answer your questions with no compulsion to buy from them

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/

Dominic

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 11:34 »
There are legal advantages to getting them to supply and fit.
If they merely fit, and the equipment breaks, they have no obligation to help, if you want them to take it disconnect, you have to pay them, its then your responsibility to chase up the manufacturer for a replacement, and then pay them again to fitit again.

If they supply and fit, everything is their responsibility when it breaks, admitadly, a cast iron stove doesnt have much to break.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 11:58 »
These are dangerous bits of kit and installed wrongly you have a bomb on your hands. It pays to play it safe and use a registered installer. They will check the chimney etc etc.
I love my log burner and feel reassured it was fitted properly. I checked the website and read up on everything, plus I had advice from that website, to help me make a decision.  They have a little exercise on their to determine what you need in your particular case based on room size etc etc

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 14:10 »
This supplier/installer
http://www.juststovesuk.co.uk/stove-details.php?id=87

covers Kent, according to their website.
Don't know how their prices compare though  :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 19:16 »
the council need check the installation, sign it off and give you a license plate to fix up in the fireplace.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:02 by mumofstig »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 22:16 »
See John's diary for a lot of useful information:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/1120/wood-burning-stove/

Building Regs are there to keep people alive.  If you don't use a Hetas registered installer, you must get the installation signed off by the B Regs department of the council.  It's not worth DIY'ing it without getting it checked.  How would you feel if someone died?  Plus the possibility of a charge of manslaughter to defend.  It really isn't worth the risk.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sion01

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 22:16 »
See John's diary for a lot of useful information:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/1120/wood-burning-stove/

Building Regs are there to keep people alive.  If you don't use a Hetas registered installer, you must get the installation signed off by the B Regs department of the council.  It's not worth DIY'ing it without getting it checked.  How would you feel if someone died?  Plus the possibility of a charge of manslaughter to defend.  It really isn't worth the risk.

I've fitted two in the house and it is quite straight forward but as you don't sound too confident about it then I'd follow the advice above.They can kill if fitted wrongly.A couple died over the road a few years ago.

Haveing said that be carefull that the engineer isn't on the make.I did ask an heating engineer to call when I wanted to fit the second one in the house because I didn't have the time but he wanted to put a vent in the room which I was a bit suspiciouse and horrified as I live in a 400 year old cottage and the walls are about 4 feet thick,the cost wouldhave been huge.I asked the council to have a look and it turned out that as its a listed building with wooden sash windows and single glassed they count as a vent so I didn't need another put in.I decided not to have the con artist back in the house and did it myself

There's a thread on here somewhere if memory serves me correct on this subject .Started by John I think .Have a look at that incase theres something usefull to you on that

digga666

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 06:45 »
We're fed up of a burnt carpet

Make sure you have a nice deep piece of granite fitted, that should prevent any floor burns.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 39 queries.