Plant labelling malfunction!

• 11 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Plant labelling malfunction!
« on: May 22, 2019, 12:51 »
Just finished planting out my tomatoes in the greenhouse - they were supposed to be in a logical sequence: Gardener's Delight, Amish Paste (new for me this year) and Sweet Million.

Half way through the process I thought 'Hang on, I've only got one Amish Paste, I'm as certain as an ageing orangutan can be that I'd grown three.'

Much head-scratching ensued, followed by the discovery of a (re-used) plastic label which said 'GD' on one side and 'Amish Paste' on the other, which means I've actually planted them all mixed up, in what order I know not (they all look pretty much the same at this stage.) :wacko:

Oh well, they're all cordons so it doesn't really make much difference - I'll know soon enough and might even invest in some new labels for next year!  :lol:

Anyone else want to embarrass themselves by revealing their own labelling mishap?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

lettice

Re: Plant labelling malfunction!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 13:54 »
I can see how easily it can be done.
I always write on both sides of the label, so no chance of having two different lots on there.
Never really had a mishap.
I use my phone/tablet and draw a little diagram using onenote as I plant anything with differing varieties out like tomatoes and potatoes, so drawn and with the label making doubly sure. Used to use a pen and paper many years ago in same way.

Did though make sure this year that I made a good and strong note of my Gherkins (that I grew for first time last year) and Burpless Cucumber that they were well marked.
They are sowed in the same type of pots and trays and look the same when emerge as plants.
Not sure I would be wanting my gherkins and cucumber fighting together for the same space in the greenhouse and outdoors.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 15:25 »
This year I bought some new labels for my pots and was scrupulous in labelling every single one. Why was there an un-labelled pot that contains two different plants? Answers on a brain transplant please.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 15:29 »
We've found that small children are very good at re-arranging and/or disappearing labels. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Val
Recipes Galore!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 15:37 »
Just finished planting out my tomatoes in the greenhouse - they were supposed to be in a logical sequence: Gardener's Delight, Amish Paste (new for me this year) and Sweet Million.

Half way through the process I thought 'Hang on, I've only got one Amish Paste, I'm as certain as an ageing orangutan can be that I'd grown three.'

Much head-scratching ensued, followed by the discovery of a (re-used) plastic label which said 'GD' on one side and 'Amish Paste' on the other, which means I've actually planted them all mixed up, in what order I know not (they all look pretty much the same at this stage.) :wacko:

Oh well, they're all cordons so it doesn't really make much difference - I'll know soon enough and might even invest in some new labels for next year!  :lol:

Anyone else want to embarrass themselves by revealing their own labelling mishap?

Who? ME? Never....... 🙄🤣

grinling

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 21:29 »
Guess the tomato this year

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 09:36 »

Labels will be recycleable cardboard next year!

Cheers,  Tony. :D
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 09:55 »
This year my Garden Pearl tomatoes have turned out to be Yellow Peardrops and vice versa.
They were very clearly labelled but their growth habit shows the mistake I made  :blush:

My other problem wasn't necessarily a labelling problem initially, as the cat knocked a tray of seedlings off the bench and some labels and plants fell out of their modules. They were obviously mismatched when I put them back in place, their growth habit also shows they're mixed up - but which is which? Who knows  :lol: :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 10:54 »
Labels will be recycleable cardboard next year!

Cheers,  Tony. :D

In theory, it shouldn't have happened - a winter jobby is scrubbing off the old labels ready for the following year - must have missed that one, and of course sod's law decrees it just had to be a tomato label!   ::)

Mr Dog

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 12:48 »
My two (supposed) Pot Black aubergines look remarkably like tomatoes.......

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 08:44 »
Putting the runner beans in paper tubes i put one variety in black paper tubes others in normal colour so i would remember which was which !

Forgotten ! :nowink:

Amish paste was one of my regulars when i had a greenhouse !
A lovely tom ! :)

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 10:46 »
I have a small problem as well, i've got my melons / cue's / marrow's  / courgette, mixed up they have all
started and all look the same, i want to give the marrow / courgettes away just keep the melon / cues
but the way things have been going i think i know the punch line ,,,, :nowink: ::) :nowink: :nowink:
Colin

clip
Name this plant please ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2020, 13:30
by mrs bouquet
xx
Plant Food !!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2018, 19:18
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 53 queries.