Best way to add fertility to plot in year 1

• 12 Replies

Kelebek

Best way to add fertility to plot in year 1
« on: February 16, 2020, 18:51 »
Hi, due to sudden and tragic recent events  have become a solo gardener and as such my plans for my new plot need to change. We took on the plot in August, it had been worked with love until 2 years ago and was a bit of a weedfest. We've cleared 2/3 of it and this will be ready to go this growing season. The part we haven't cleared will be covered with weed suppressant and have squashes grown over it this year.

The challenge I have is that I haven't got any compost down there yet, I can't drive to collect manure/ compost etc, so for this growing season I need an easy to transport (in one of those old lady shopping trolleys or a taxi) way of adding some nutrients.

Will I be alright for one season just adding say chicken manure? I know that won't do anything for soil structure but will add nutrients until I have useable compost.

Does anyone have any other possible solutions for this year that they can suggest?

Many thanks in advance. The allotment is kind of my comfort and obsession at the moment.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Best way to add fertility to plot in year 1
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 20:09 »
Hello Kelebek

Sorry to hear about the circumstances which you've gone through.  Hopefully the allotment can be a balm to the soul, even if it has memories associated with it.

To be honest, I wouldn't stress too much whether you can add extra nutrients to the soil this year.  As you say, it's been gardened in good heart until recently.

Chicken manure / pellets are quite high in nitrogen, so will benefit leaves particularly.  If you want something to add across the plot without discrimination according to what you're growing where, then a general purpose balanced fertiliser would be either Growmore or 'Fish blood and bone'.  Avoid the latter if you have foxes around, as they'll dig up plants when attracted to the smell of the FBB …  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

OakR

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 21:45 »
Sorry for your loss Kelebek.

One thing if you did want compost to consider is that some garden centres \ online retailers can deliver so if you really wanted some you could try that route (dependent on your allotment layout and where they could drop it off).

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 22:39 »
Hi Kelebek. Sorry to hear your situation - but allotments and gardens can be a great place for calming the soul. Regarding your query I think Yorkie is right. But if you garden, and eat veg at home, you will create compostable material - so get yourself a compost Dalek. You may not get compost from it this year, but it will rot down over the summer and give you something to apply next autumn/winter. Hope it all works for you!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 00:10 »
Let me be another to pass on my condolences to you.
Back to the subject at hand, like Yorkie said, chicken manure pellets were the thing for me on my first year. You can pick up a dirt cheap tub from the likes of Wilko.

Kelebek

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 10:30 »
Thank you everyone for your condolences and advice. I'll not worry too much for this season. I've got compost bins on the go so should be fine for next year.

Thank you

Jo

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 12:06 »
My condolences to you too, can take a long time to recover from a trauma so be kind to yourself, covering as much as you can & rolling it back as & when you can deal with it is a really good way of dealing with it while you get back to the energetic you. If you can cover with thick brown,not glossy cardboard , and any composted mulch you can get your hands on, then cover with membrane your plot will be working for you too & then when you can it’ll be good to go. As for compost try asking your friends,family & neighbours for their compostable waste to add to your binsto give you plenty for next year. Look up the Berkeley method of compost, it recommends that you can have it ready in 18 days. I think that is a bit too intensive but it would perhaps help you to speed things up a bit. Whatever you do take care of yourself & your plot can be your salvation 😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 14:12 »
I'm also so sorry for your loss. Not knowing what your soil is like (as in clay, sandy etc), along with what others on here have said, the best thing I can advise is get a load of used mushroom compost because it's cheap and will help to bulk the soil up ready for planting and it's amazing how quickly it gets taken down into the soil. Just a suggestion, find somewhere on your plot where you can just sit and think over things, maybe plant something special, then go home to a good meal (Crockpots are great when you're tired) and a nice hot soak. Love from GG. x  :closedeyes:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 18:02 »
first commiserations  to you for loss and hopefully  your allotment will offer you some comfort in doing something you like to pass the day away and maybe strike up conversation with other allotment holders

anyway there are many good suggestions from our members that you could consider to add fertility to your plot you may also consider growing green manure to improve the fertility  its not to difficult to cultivate you could grow part of the plot in rotation each year  its not to expensive to buy and there's plenty of advise on line what to buy [sow seeds]

anyway its just a suggestion that mite be worth considering good luck with the plot and don't forget there's many good gardeners on this site to offer you good sound gardening advise should you need it

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 21:54 »
I’m so sorry. I’m also widowed and it’s indescribable.

I have had compost delivered in the past, both in bulk bags (neat, and stays where it’s put, but harder to source, as it often comes by pallet truck.  I got mine from a chap with a pick up though) and loose loads by tractor and trailer (cheaper, but easily accessible. Tends to sprawl a bit though and obviously they need to drive up to where you want it to tip it out!) I don’t know what your access is like. Tree surgeons and dairy farmers are good sources of compost (in varying stages of decomposition!). Garden centres may well deliver the bag, too. Or perhaps the committee would consider getting a communal load delivered (we get manure and wood chips). I know our council doesn’t deliver green waste compost but perhaps yours is different.

When all else fails, we must look to our gardens.

Kelebek

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 15:03 »
Thank you everyone for your advice and condolences

Jo

Ema

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 22:36 »
Very sorry to hear of your loss, I hope your plot gives you peace.

If you can find well rotted horse manure locally, it would be worth seeing if any ‘man with van’ types will pick it up for you.

I used a lot of organic chicken pellets in my first year, it was ok but I had better success in following years with compost and manure as a mulch.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 17:40 »
My condolences to you. Do you know any farmers? Rotted cattle manure is very good.

xx
Fertility/pH metre -- is this correct?

Started by Marti on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 23:00
by gobs
xx
Underplanting to maintain and increase fertility

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 17:57
by stephenandbeverley
thumbup
1st Year On The Plot

Started by Mr Dog on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 19:17
by Yorkie
xx
This year my plot ....

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 09, 2018, 08:34
by Christine

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 52 queries.