My 'new' allotment - all overgrown

• 12 Replies

meriad

My 'new' allotment - all overgrown
« on: February 22, 2018, 13:01 »
Which I took on end of August last year.  I managed to clear 1/2 the plot of the weeds and grass by hand, without chemicals.  But for various reasons (summer holiday away, too many 50th birthday parties, and then generally really rubbish weather everything came to a grinding halt.  All the hard work I did was wasted and the entire plot is now overgrown once more.  So following advise (I'm sure it was on here somewhere), I'm going to have to go the chemical route and use glyphosate to get rid of all that dreaded couch grass and bindweed.  But; and here is where I could do with your advise please...

I was planning on going out there this weekend to strimm everything down to about 10cm or so and then spray glyphosate (provided it's wind still obviously).  And then the idea was for the warmer March weather to maximise the glyphosate action.  But this coming week is meant to be absolutely freezing - dropping down to -7 or so on some nights apparently.  Will the glyphosate still work or do you think i should just cut everything down and then wait for it to "warm" up again before spraying?    Or even wait until it's warmer before even attempting the cutting down?

Once everything has died back I'll hire a tiller to turn everything under.

But to glyphosate or not - that is the question?

Thanks  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: My 'new' allotment - all overgrown
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 13:34 »
Using weedkillers is very much a matter of personal preference. It will no doubt eventually work.

I must admit I am in the "dig it by hand" camp, but others may well suggest a No Dig approach, layering up organic matter over the ground, to ten plant through.

This might also be something to consider .....
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 15:08 »
Glyphosate will work fine for you, but only if and when the weeds are actively growing sufficient to absorb the stuff into their leaves etc. Wait until it warms upa bit and you can tell if the weeds are actively growing

Pescador

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 15:41 »
You need leaf area to absorb the glyphosate. I sprayed during a dry spell in January and it is working nicely, some 4 or 5 weeks later. I would strim off now, and wait for some good re-growth before  spraying. It will work faster the, so you won't loose too much time. Better to get it right, even if it's a bit later than you wanted, otherwise you'll be halfway through the season if you need to do it again.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 17:09 »
If its this weekend and you are feeling fit I would turn the soil over with a digging hoe that should expose a lot of the roots get out what you can and then get the forcasted frosts into the soil , then once you see the weeds sprout again treat with weedkiller when in leaf.  with A digging hoe I go over the beds three or four times over the winter going down about 4-6 ins with bind weed its a real toughie A no dig approach cannot work it will grow up through most things repeated weed killer is the only way
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 17:51 »
as I've  said many times glyphosate or roundup is my choice for clearing the ground no fuss no poly sheeting can't be doing with that when there growing veg to be done so after spraying three weeks one can get digging and planting instead of wasting  time digging out black grass same goes for bind weed after a lashing of roundup its no longer a problem

that's what i did when i took on a new plot full of black  grass after spraying the plot it rid me of all that black grass and although weeds re apeared  between the veg later no black grass the weeds  where kept at bay with a hoe also  had comments from othere plot holders  how clean the ground was since i took it on i also found the roundup seemed to work quiker when the weather warmed up

i also spray round the outside of my plots to keep them clean and tidy for my fellow gardeners  :D

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 18:47 »
HI,

My old allotment neighbour rotavated his plot for five years in a row chopping up bindweed and couch into tiny pieces and each year it got worse, he constantly complained about it being a struggle to keep on top of it. 
He gave up the end of 2016.  I took his plot on everyone said I was mad, I strimmed the lot down and once the leaves started spayed with glyphosate, done it three time over two months now it's 95% gone.  So much easy on your body and quicker then digging it all up. 
Strim it and wait till it warms up a little.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 18:49 by Dantheman »
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 19:15 »
Pardon my ignorance Rowlandwells, but what is Black Grass?

meriad

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 08:52 »
Thank you SO MUCH everyone - you have reconfirmed what I was thinking.   I'll strim this weekend and then when the weather is right I'll spray.  I'd rather do it right now vs having to struggle throughout the year.  I've got a greenhouse at home (unheated) so plenty space to start the plants off there vs straight in the plot.

Thanks!!!!  :D

PS:  also curious to know what black grass is ;-)

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 18:30 »
i use the term  black grass loosely as I believe its much the same as what we call twitch grass round hear its all to me from the same family

and very prevalent in cereal crops and the effects of black grass is I'm told greatly reduces the crop value some farmers spray  before harvesting some spray prior to cultivation some spray and leave the field baron or uncultivated its a real pain

there are many comments of the cause of black grass some say its persistently growing cereal crops possible with minimum cultivation not helping things what we have to remember is that cereal growing is the main crops for arable farmers

as for the home gardener twitch is a real pain and hard to get rid of i.ve found the only successful way is roundup of cause every one to there own hope my comments on black grass clarifies your curiosity unless you've your own take on black grass :D :D :D

Silva

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 20:46 »
My new plot has a lot of couch grass and I've been digging it out, and then turning and raking over the soil trying to get any rhizomes/roots I've missed. Then a layer of manure and covered with plastic/cardboard until I need it for planting. No idea if it will work yet though!

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 13:57 »
good luck silva with digging out your couch grass I know its a real pain

Silva

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 17:52 »
good luck silva with digging out your couch grass I know its a real pain

Thanks, much appreciated :D

exclamation
Very Overgrown Allotment

Started by Supergiles on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 16:38
by Starling
xx
Overgrown allotment offered, but no water on tap!

Started by Gareth W-D on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 18:15
by Sadgit
xx
Clearing an overgrown allotment plot organically?

Started by Jazsnap on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 19, 2012, 21:24
by Madame Cholet
xx
Hi from a new overgrown allotment holder in south wales

Started by missgreen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 09, 2015, 17:03
by Tenhens

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 49 queries.