Hi from a new overgrown allotment holder in south wales

• 8 Replies

missgreen

Hi from a new overgrown allotment holder in south wales
« on: November 08, 2015, 17:07 »
Hi

I was offered a half sized neglected plot a week after giving birth, and decided to accept it against better judgement. The baby is now 4 wks old and we haven't managed to do anything yet, not surprisingly!

I have tons of questions but mostly need a low maintenance low budget first year so any advice on that is most welcome. I want to try and crack on over the next few weeks with the help of my husband and reluctant-ish sons but don't want to kill myself digging too much at a time when I'm not at my fittest. I'm really excited about the challenge but need to be sensible!

Great to find this forum, looking forward to learning lots here :-)

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Hi from a new overgrown allotment holder in south wales
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 18:04 »
Hello and welcome miss green. Well, you are very brave. My best advice to you is don't hurry, don't rush, don't do too much in one go! Your health and your baby are more important.

cadalot

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 18:15 »
Cut back what you can cover it up and let it dry and then have a bonfire, take a look at  http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment/clearing-new-allotment-plot.php

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 21:17 »
Welcome to the site and congratulations on your new lotty and your new arrival  :D

I'm going to move this thread across to the GYO forum to make sure the growing peeps see it  :)

Luckily the weeds won't be growing too fast at this time of year, and if the soil mud sticks to your boots then keep off - you'll be damaging the soil structure.

Make sure you've got on top of the weeds (either killing, digging, or covering) before they start growing again - probably around April, depending on how early spring gets going.

If you do cover, avoid carpet, and get the widest weed suppressant fabric you can reasonably do so.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 22:01 »
I'd also vote for covering it all over till Spring. Winter months are good for planning what you want to grow, and there might be some seed sales in January/February if you are lucky.

Cheap covers are cardboard boxes either weighted down with gubbins lying around on the plot or with tarpaulines/larger covers. If you have the transport for them, bike shops give away huge cardboard boxes the cycles come in, and we are approaching peak bike sales... :D

If there's any ground easy to clear you could stick in some onion sets/garlic/broad beans/overwintering peas just to get something going. Good luck!  :D

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 22:37 »
Cardboard can be held down using 6" Ground Cover Fixing Anchor Pegs and you can buy them on ebay at about £11 for a 100

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 11:27 »
Hi and welcome to this great forum! Apart from what has already been said including surbie's advice about just clearing a small area so you feel you are getting something in the ground, take the time to have a good look at your plot as regards type of soil, if it drains ok, what size beds you want and where you naturally tread as this will help define where your paths, beds, compost heaps and anything else should be placed. Your local council may provide free or cheap compost bins so ask about that; if not, just pile stuff in a corner for the moment. Try getting used pallets, old scaffolding boards and used builder's bags from a local builder to use as bed edgings, a cold frame, compost heap etc, or visit your local tip. As the site has been neglected, you will no doubt have plenty of weed seeds waiting to germinate so get a good quality spade, fork and hoe, preferably second-hand from a local flea-market, but try them out for size and what's comfortable for you beforehand. One last thing - on this forum there is no such thing as a daft question as we've been there and done it, so just go ahead and enjoy!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Liverpool Brick

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 12:32 »
Hi,
Best advice I was given was "don't try to cultivate it all at once". Like you, I have a half plot, and hopefully next year (my 5th) I'll make the last raised beds and it will be almost complete (still need a greenhouse!). As the other folk have said just clear a bit this winter and plan ahead for a small start next year. Its amazing how much stuff you can grow even on a half plot. I have leeks, roots and cabbages still in the ground plus a freezer full! There's plenty of advice on this site for all sorts of things, so my other bit of advice is "enjoy it!"
Andy
Plant it and it will grow.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 17:03 »
Hello from North Derbyshire.

What a shame all that 'fresh manure' can't be used!!!  Congratulations on your new arrival!!

A couple of questions if I may
How big is a half plot?  You mentioned having a bonfire, are they allowed? You don't want to upset anybody before you start.  This may sound daft but grow the veg that you and your family like, pureed sprouts are going to be great nappy filling!!!

As mentioned about compost bins using pallets (hopefully free!)  Plenty of info on these pages , even a page to hopefully make you laugh!!
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

xx
Hello from a new allotment holder!

Started by Dan78 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 05, 2010, 15:22
by inosnofing
xx
New allotment holder

Started by Kingstown_peter on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 14:08
by stompy
question
Advice for new allotment holder

Started by Juliek1313 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 23:58
by Juliek1313
xx
First time allotment holder

Started by Stortgrower on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 15:04
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 29 queries.