Saving elderflowers

• 7 Replies

Pip Judgeford

Saving elderflowers
« on: November 05, 2010, 19:55 »
Last year I discovered how good elderflower syrup is with gin or soda water :D :D

I have only 2 youngish elderberry bushes and its hard to pick a recipe-worth of flowers all at once. (My reciple is 20 flowers in 2 litres of water etc)  I have discovered you can pick and freeze the flowers OK.  I label each bag of flowers with how many flowers is in it.  Then come the weekend when I have more time, I make a batch or a double batch of cordial.  My neighbour makes elderberry champagne (which I can't seem to make for nuts!) and we swap.

I think of elderberry as a weed (the birds poop out seeds any old where) but now I am weeding around and liming my bushes (not much lime but my soil is acidic) and getting more flowers than ever.

Pip

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Saving elderflowers
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 19:59 »
Hi Pip,

Freezing is a good tip for saving the flowers. My Dad used to have elderflower wine in his home-made wine repertoire and as you observe, this is a good way to build up a workable stock.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 17:46 »
This reminds me I have a few bags in the freezer from this year, will start is soon for xmass.

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 20:11 »
This reminds me I have a few bags in the freezer from this year, will start is soon for xmass.

How long do you think they are good for in the freezer?  I had assumed only a couple of weeks but yours must be a few months, jimbeekeeper?

Also (is this crazy?) my neighbour tells me the reason the elderflower champagne works is that the wide flat plate of the elderberry flower catches lots of wild yeast and this makes the champagne go.  So I wondered if you could use the water from soaking elderflowers as the water for making a sour dough starter?  Has anyone done this? 

-pip

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 01:01 »
I have an elderflower hedge down the side of my lotty  :)  It's a beauty. I trim it back a bit each year and it looks a picture. I give loads of flowers and berries away as there are far too many for me to use up

Don't forget you can make fritters with it, and fools

SG6

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 19:25 »
Home brew shop sell dried elderflowers.
Might be easier.

matilda333

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 21:28 »
Hello Pip,

I heard something similar about the yeast in elderflowers...im not sure about the 'wild yeast' part, but apparently if you pick the flowers on a sunny bright day they will produce more yeast than if picked on a cloudy day. So, more sun should equal more fizz :)
Definitely worth a try with the sour dough starter..

MoreWhisky

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 22:44 »
Im planning to make lots lots more champagne next yr, cant wait )
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

xx
Elderflowers in Oxfordshire?

Started by mountainvicar on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 13:57
by madcat
xx
frozen elderflowers

Started by flatcap on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2007, 07:45
by flatcap
xx
Is it beyond saving?

Started by tallulah on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 10:13
by kennykoala

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 36 queries.