Update from me

• 2 Replies

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Update from me
« on: May 06, 2006, 11:17 »
http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/2006-05-05/
Nearly all the potatoes are broken through the ground now and the Red Duke of York ones are very tall so i guess we should earth them up soon. The Winston variety is a bit slower and shorter. Very odd.
Plum tree has lost its flowers and is now getting leafy.
Apple trees, all three of them, are in flower with lots of happy red-bottomed bumble bees visiting all the flowers.
I noticed some of my redcurrant bushes already have little green immature fruits! :shock: The blackcurrant bushes are still flowering.

Brassica problems - on some radish leaves there's these little pin-prick holes on them. Same for my pak choi and some of the other brassicas. I don't think it's slug damage though I found some of the brassicas had slug damage too  :roll: Didn't look like anything truly fatal though so I just put down the iron phosphate slug pellets around them. We're looking to find the biggest container possible to turn into a giant slug beer trap :lol: Here's a picture of the damage... The nearest thing I could find on the web was some site in the US saying it was damage by tiny moth larvae??
http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/2006-05-05/tn/P5050045.JPG.html

Interesting discovery - For some reason the slugs and whatever is causing the pinholes is leaving my "Purple Cape" Cauliflower seedlings alone. The "Graffiti F1" next to it was pretty sorry looking but showing some new growth (super purple leaves!). The pak choi is on the opposite of it and you can see how damaged they are. I have all the brassicas (er except the pak choi) under fleece and have been since I planted them out a week ago.

Chard - I thought this was suppose to die by now?? or go into flower then die?? It's not just the plant that keeps on giving, it's the plant that won't die. I had to pull off leaves to keep it from totally shading out its neighbouring alpine strawberries and herbs :roll:

Peas are looking a little better. I gave them some pea sticks to help them grow up to the netting They still seem awfully slow... maybe I'm used to the runner beans that grow 4 inches in a day.

Strawberries - There's a few tiny green ones on the plants now so I have to buy some netting today. I built the fruit cage over them last night.

Pumpkins - looking unharmed and have grown a bit in the last week  :D

Roses - They're looking good too, one has buds on it already. They're probably much happier since we've mostly cleared the tall weed grasses away and I pruned them a bit in the autumn. I'm quite proud of them since I have no experience with roses besides killing off tiny hybrid tea roses as pot plants  :oops:

Lady's mantle... as much as it's somewhat turning into a weed I still love how it looks and on the plus side they're helping smother weeds.

Shallots - the first section I planted back in february are doing very well. I can see very clearly where the separations are for the new bulbs. The second section I planted are finally sprouting lots of little leaves so that's good too.

Having problems IDing what a parsnip seedling looks like. We think we have a few but we're not really sure  :oops: At least it's easy to ID the carrots and dill by their feathery first true leaves.

I guess that's it for now, I have to run out to buy some netting and maybe some fleece for upcoming brassica cages.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Update from me
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 16:06 »
Wow you are busy!!! Isn't chard fantatic! you can use it in loads of dishes! I've just dug a huge plot ready for more tomatoes and aubergines! got to put my onions and melons out tomorrow! Can't keep up with it! it's full on gardening every weekend!!!!! all the best with your plants
Happy Gardening

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
Update from me
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 17:13 »
Fantastic pictures!  You must have been so busy to get that lot planted :D The potatoes look fab - I have some Duke of York in too and mine are at about the same stage as yours, perhaps a little smaller.  It must be the weather here oop north - my carrot seedlings are just through too but still very tiny.  I think the brassicas have given up completely!

I do love seeing photos of other gardners plots - as well as getting some good tips and pointers from them, it's also nice to share in your successes and triumphs :D

xx
Second Update

Started by coatesi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 13, 2008, 09:24
by Jaye
xx
Update

Started by oggy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2006, 22:17
by Phoenix
xx
Hot Bed update

Started by cAnAry53 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 17:09
by cAnAry53
xx
Grafting update

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2014, 13:49
by Lardman

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 39 queries.