Celery

• 12 Replies

georget

Celery
« on: April 01, 2014, 17:05 »
Going to have a go at growing celery for the first time,I absolutely LOVE celery.I thought i might set some seed in a tray in the greenhouse this weekend,Ionly have a small parafin heater to keep the frost at bay but am i right in thinking that celery doesnt need heat.I have a shade  part in the allotment where the hedge of high trees block the sun for the afternoon during summer,do you think it will grow there,I only got this allotment last year and tried onions there and although they werent a bad size it was funny to see them following the sun.But i have read that celery likes to be shaded.Any advice would be welcome as ive never grown it before..I wish the ground would dry so we can get stuck in...George

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Celery
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 17:15 »
Celery does usually need heat to germinate, so I would start it off indoors as it still below 15 degC at night. It needs masses of water and organic matter in the soil too as well as regular feeding. Think swamp-plant-origin and you will get the idea.

One of my plot neighbours gave me a good tip: open out a 1l fruit juice carton to make an open cylinder, and put this over each plant when you set them out, with the edge just buried in the soil. It helps them stay together very well.

Hope that helps a bit  :)

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 18:41 »
I grow self-blanching celery every year and find it easy to grow. Very small seedlings so you have to handle with care I find.  I potted my babies on today  :D

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 19:40 »
Some shade won't hurt celery as it will stop the soil from drying out too fast. They're bog edge dwellers and love lots of water.

For starting up, treat them like toms and peppers - they need warmth to get going until hardening off time. In fall they can take a lot of cool weather because they're now prepared for it, but not hard freezing.

gobs

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 20:59 »
Hurry up, as they are very slow growing, you are a bit late. do not get disappointed or surprised if they only come out little.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 21:20 »

Your belly button is to store the salt when you eat celery in bed! :lol:

Cheers,   Tony,
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 21:53 »
They need warmth and should not be set out until after the last frost or they will bolt to seed.

As gobs says, you are a bit late but they should make something.

Self blanching is what most people grow. They are not frost hardy. They are usually ready about mid August and you have until the first frosts to eat them, which can be early October, depending where you live.

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 10:08 »
Mine have never grown big - but then I have been cramming them in. Whilst not getting large stalks they do taste delicious and make wonderful soup.

This year, as I've now got an allotment, they'll be given the space to relax and grow in comfort  :)

georget

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 15:45 »
Thanks everyone 1st job saturday morning..Iwill try that Kleftiwalla . :lol: :lol:

barley

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 21:22 »
celeriac is a good alternative to celery if you struggle to grow celery  might be worth trying that instead  ;)

Casey76

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 09:07 »
I've cheated and bought plantlets  ::)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 09:09 »
I've cheated and bought plantlets  ::)

Now that's a darn good idea! I'm not sure mine will come up quick enough.

Casey76

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 09:22 »
I paid 2.99€ for 12x4in sturdy looking plantlets.  Even if I can get one to grow to maturity I'll be saving money from buying at the supermarket!

xx
Normal cutting celery v Parcel celery

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 10:26
by Snow
xx
Celery

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 21:16
by gobs
xx
Celery

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 21:55
by Bozwell
xx
celery

Started by muddifoot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 22:38
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 39 queries.