Volume of produce

• 32 Replies
Volume of produce
« on: June 10, 2010, 19:22 »
Hi All,
I am very new to this. Can anyone tell me what sort of volume of produce is likely to be obtained from a standard size allotment plot (which I believe is about 250sq. yds.). I can get figures for crop yields for individual foods, but this isn't really very helpful. Whilst I am aware that it is possible to grow more than one crop on the same piece of land within a single year, I know practically nothing at the moment about the growing process. I know nothing about what plants can reasonably be grown consecutively on the same bit of land during a single season but I want a target of what is reasonable to produce and I'd like it to be as a result of reasonably efficient methods. I guess the easiest measurement of the crop production is the retail price of whatever is grown. I guess I have clarified my own thinking! If anyone can tell me the crop volumes of the most efficent combinations of produce, or its retail cash value I'd be grateful. ???

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Volume of produce
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 19:26 »
I think you need to learn to walk before you start to run.  Also, you are not allowed to sell any produce from a council allotment.
Cheese makes everything better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 19:29 »
Tell you the volume of produce? and value? .........IMO it's impossible, there are too many variables.....soil and weather to name but 2.

You can only say that during the war a standard allotment plot was judged to provide a family of 4 with their seasonal fresh vegetable requirements. Nowadays lots of people grow soft fruits as well which cuts down on available space for vegetables, but possibly provides a crop of more value :)

allotmenteer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 19:35 »
check with NSALG about selling produce. You can sell surplus food I was informed, but after reading different garden forums and having friends in different council areas it seems there are various "OPINIONS" on this matter.

savbo

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 19:37 »
i don't think barefoot is talking about actually selling their produce, just using the retail value as a measurement - and I think this has been covered by previous threads last year?

M

hamstergbert

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 19:38 »
If I am interpreting you right, you are not actually looking at selling produce but assessing what to grow where the results will save you most by not having to buy the expensive stuff at the shops?

As Mum says, too many variables to be definite.  Unless you are planning to give it a hit and then give up unless you immediately save a fortune, why not concentrate on stuff you know for certain your family would eat, tempered by looking at nearby plots and seeing what grows well in your area.  Once into it you can then drift towards the biggest reward type crops - bearing in mind of course that sometimes things are expensive in the shops simply because you cannot easily grow them in this country outside a fairly narrow season without seriously expensive cheats!

In any case I think many of us on here would say growing your own veggies is often rather more to do with freshness/provenance/taste than simply cost.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 19:39 by hamstergbert »
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 19:45 »

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 19:56 »
Well I am very impressed with the help. I only put up the post about 30 minutes ago and there have been a number of helpful replies - especially the link to last year's post. Thank you mumofstig. 

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 20:17 »
check with NSALG about selling produce. You can sell surplus food I was informed, but after reading different garden forums and having friends in different council areas it seems there are various "OPINIONS" on this matter.

It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of what's in your contract!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

davethespread

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 20:22 »
our rules state anyone using their plot for financial gain will have their contract terminated with immediate effect.
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 20:27 »
so far i have eaten 15 rhubarb crumbles   :ohmy: at about 3 -4 sticks per crumble and ive still some left  so thats about 60 quids worth in tescos  and roll on the blackberry season when i shall go crumble mad   :blink:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 20:30 »
I'm still not sure why "volume of produce" is so important to you.  :wacko:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 20:33 »
another consideration is think how much you are saving by not joining the gym  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 21:05 »
I may be going of subject a tad but 15 crumbles!! I think you need a recipe book, i just had french lentils and rhubarb curry for dinner delish. I had considered with the price of rhubarb and all turning the whole allotment over to it , not much effort there as it has been trying to muscle in on the veg patch anyhow. No worries about selling as the allotment is part of a private association.

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 21:32 »
You can't sell produce, but I always give excess away and if anyone wants to donate money then they are quite welcome to! :tongue2:

Suppose the yield depends on the amount of different varieties you want to grow. E.g. I grow a lot of strawberries, which are worth more than the same amount of space given to potatoes. I give a lot of space to salad crops, as these work out expensive the amount I eat over the summer.

Its also about taste, I can find tomatoes cheaper than what I grow them for, likewise potatoes, however they are much more yummy!

Steve

xx
Raised Bed Soil Volume Calculations .... HELP !!

Started by greenasiamcabbagelooking on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 19:26
by greenasiamcabbagelooking
xx
My 1st Produce

Started by dexyblue on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 10:48
by Plottered
xx
first produce

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 05, 2006, 10:51
by lentil987
xx
last of last years produce

Started by solway cropper on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 08, 2018, 10:12
by madcat

Page created in 0.72 seconds with 37 queries.