Ryobi Expand it tiller...any good?

• 7 Replies

hillfooter

Ryobi Expand it tiller...any good?
« on: September 25, 2009, 21:55 »
I have the Ryobi brush cutter and was thinking about adding the expand it tiller attachment.  My experience with these attachements has been a bit patchy so far,  The hedge trimmer is quite good but the lawn edger is a waste of time so I wondered if anyone had any experience of how good the tiller was?
Regards
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 00:12 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Gwiz

Re: Ryobi Expand it tiller...any good?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 06:28 »
I've not used one, but I've had a look at one in our local suppliers.
I wouldn't say that I was too impressed. I think you'd be better off getting a seperate tiller. ;)

smud6ie

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 14:33 »
I have the Ryobi brush cutter and was thinking about adding the expand it tiller attachment.  My experience with these attachements has been a bit patchy so far,  The hedge trimmer is quite good but the lawn edger is a waste of time so I wondered if anyone had any experience of how good the tiller was?
Regards

If your ryobi has the starter  between the engine and the shaft it may only have one crank bearring and I would not be wanting to put the strain of tiller on it.
smud6ie
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 14:35 by smud6ie »

goodegg

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 21:57 »
i have one it tills alright for little borders .i bought mine to use in the greenhouse beds so i dont have to make new beds but i find it very difficult to control. 

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 15:52 »
Thanks for your replies guys. I wanted something which would break new ground as well as be small enough for raised vegatable beds and flower borders.  I think I'll bite the bullet and buy a small honda and hire a larger rotovator when I need to.

Regards

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 00:05 »
I purchased a new Honda F110 tiller last year and find it very good for the intended tasks.  Light enough to carry around the plot and so easy to start! It will not go deeper than about 20 cm in heavy soil but is excellent for creating a fine tilth on previously rotovated soil.

I was also lucky enough to find a good used rotovator (honda F501) for the cost of a couple of days hire.  Good luck.
John

grumpydad

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 21:31 »
i use a stihl, both combi and multi tool, but even mine would struggle with new ground, i hired a heavier purpose built rotavator to turn our new allotment over.
its ok now to use now the ground has been turned to re-till it.

martyn

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 01:17 »
Thanks for your replies guys. I wanted something which would break new ground as well as be small enough for raised vegatable beds and flower borders.  I think I'll bite the bullet and buy a small honda and hire a larger rotovator when I need to.

Regards

Something that breaks new ground is by definition pretty big, Howard Gem/yeoman/700/400, Camon C8 that sort of thing, For raised bed work then the little expandit would be ok or something like a mantis would be excellent.... I've got the ryobi expandit one and it does what its intended to do...  prep seedbeds and scuffle weed between the wider spaced rows... for breaking new ground or doing the annual turning in of manure its time to crank up the Howard 400.....

chrisc

xx
Ryobi expand it pole saw

Started by Salmo on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post August 21, 2018, 11:26
by Salmo
xx
Ryobi expand-it problems

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post December 08, 2008, 17:29
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
Ryobi expand-it driveshaft problem

Started by commerlad on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2016, 23:10
by jezza
xx
Ryobi Expand-It pole pruner

Started by pairofacres on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 06:49
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 34 queries.