PLEASE HELP - POORLY CHICKEN

• 3 Replies

Gemjt

PLEASE HELP - POORLY CHICKEN
« on: September 02, 2011, 16:46 »
Hello,

can someone help???

My chicken (Karl - she is a girl) was absolutely fine until approx 30 mins ago.... she just stopped walking around, looked poorly - not sitting, not standing and then deposited what i can only assume is a soft egg - very white sticky stuff that looked to have some shell in it, but all squdgy... she then proceded to sit down in her run and with her tail down.  She looks so sorry for herself, intermitently closing her eyes - and her bottom area (i assume vent) is pulsing every now and again.
We had noticed that we had only been getting one egg a day from our two light sussex (karl and Guy).....
Will she be ok?  what can I do to help her?  What do you think is wrong?

Lost and concerned.....
Karl, Lewis, Jensen & Guy.... all Girl chickens named after t'husbands hero's (and one of mine)....... Rossi and Murdoch....all Girl cats - again, named after t'husbands hero's!  the things you  have to agree to when you want new pets!

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: PLEASE HELP - POORLY CHICKEN
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 17:01 »
It may be that she needed to pass a softie, it really does take it out of them, keep an eye on her and she should perk up soon. 

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 18:38 »
Gently clean around the vent area and then see if you can tempt her with some treats.  I would then put her to bed and let her rest overnight, chances are she will have perked up in the morning
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 19:04 »
One of our hens sometimes lays soft shelled eggs, (none for a while so crossed fingers).  Usually there are two laid within 24 hours so that may be why she is still under the weather.  Try a warm bath for her, deep enough to cover her vent for about 20 to 30 minutes.  Make sure to dry her well with gentle patting of towel and cool hairdryer.  If you put her somewhere warm and dark but ventilated she should manage to lay any other softie she may have in her system.  Make sure she has food and water when you check on her every couple of hours until bed time.

Let us know how you get on.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Help! Poorly Chicken!

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 06:13
by Very new to chickens!
clip
Poorly looking Chicken

Started by Nikkithefoot on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2018, 10:39
by New shoot
xx
Poorly Chicken

Started by Sarah C on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 21:05
by Pretty Chick
xx
poorly chicken? please help

Started by ma baker on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 09:58
by ma baker

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 38 queries.