poorly chicken?

• 5 Replies

stef Batterbee

poorly chicken?
« on: May 17, 2011, 13:35 »
I noticed at the weekend that one of my hens has distended vent and dirty vent feathers. I cleaned her up but she was dirty again by the next morning. She is well in herself (red plummage, eating normally etc) and still laying although the eggs do show blood on the shell. I have just started them on Verm-X and Cider Apple Vinegar in case they have worms but would be grateful for any other suggestions?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: poorly chicken?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 14:07 »
first of all verm-x will not get rid of worms - you need to buy flubenvet which is proven to eradicate worms.
Wash her rear and then use something like germaloids push her protrusion back in. then you need to stop her laying so bring her in and keep her calm and in the dark. sometimes hens can recover from a prolapse which it sounds like your girl has got but she will need careful supervision and maybe regular treatment.
Staffies are softer than you think.

stef Batterbee

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 16:05 »
Thank you for your advise but blimey it sounds gruesome! I went to our local farm/ poultry yard yesterday and they didnt suggest anything like this! I have had a closer look and when she poos I can see The redness of her bum and the poo is runny ish her vent feathers are sticky and almost a yellow colour... never had anything like this before! 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 16:09 »
ok she needs to see a vet urgently - the yellow colour could be a yolk (also why her feathers are sticky) - it sounds like she has had an egg break inside her - possibly a soft shelled or shell-less one (hence the possible prolapse caused by trying to push it out). She will need some antibiotics to stop any infection and also a check over to see if any is still inside her.

stef Batterbee

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 16:13 »
Thank you again, the fact that she is still laying and healthy looking and still running around, is this egg thing still possible? sorry to be a pain but although I have had chickens for a couple of years I am still learning!

stef Batterbee

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 17:07 »
I have just spoken to my vet who knows about chickens and he says while she is eating, drinking and generally looking well I should just keep an eye on her, I have just thrown out some pasta and corn and she is tucking in with the rest of them. Will let you know how she gets on.....

xx
Poorly Chicken - please help!

Started by Beth on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 17:12
by Aunt Sally
xx
Poorly chicken

Started by cheriton on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 21:16
by cheriton
xx
Help with poorly chicken please

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 13:11
by andreadon
xx
Very Poorly Chicken

Started by bogwoppitinatree on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 12:11
by avalonbirds

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 39 queries.