holly for Christmas

• 13 Replies

rowlandwells

holly for Christmas
« on: November 24, 2010, 21:25 »
 times creeping on its getting nearer to Christmas every day

do you do anything with holly like indoor decorations wreath holly pots etc
 we make our own wreaths and holly pots both my wife and i where learnt by an old gardener some years ago its time consuming but if done properly they look the part

i usually end up with the job of cutting and wiring  the holly in bunches for the wife to make the wreaths she fist mosses up the wreath frame prior to fixing the holly she usually puts plastic or pine cones sprayed to look like snow we have two holly bushes one plain and one variegated my framer friend also gives us some holly i also bunch and wire up some conifer gold the holly pots are made by stuffing a plastic pot with moss and then pushing the wired bunches of holy and conifer into the pot then add the plastic flowers usually dahlia of mixed colours we use plastic pots that will fit into the grave pot holder for our families graves they look good and last well over Christmas if you have  made the holly wreath properly you should be able to throw it on the floor and it should break up  :D

we usually make our holly wreaths and Potts in the potting shed with the greenhouse heater going to keep warm does anyone make there own holly decorations wreaths etc  :) :)

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
Re: holly for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 21:33 »
i've made my own Christmas wreath for the last 3 years using wild berries and holly  :)
it looks so much nicer than buying those plastic wreaths you get from the supermarket  :happy:

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 16:14 »
I do after the crimbo decs are up and I can take some time foraging in the garden. Have an old cottage with an inglenook fireplace and have managed to find some really nice artificial swags with integral fairy lights but I still love the real thing! My OH doean't like wreaths as they remind him of the graveyards - I see what he means - so I use it for around pictures rather than the yucky tinsel.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

madcat

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 17:43 »
I had my eye on a bush covered with berries for Christmas wreath etc - but .....   :(  when I out past it today (it is in the hedge by the dustbin) it has been stripped already by the birds.   :( :(  I suppose I should have netted it - but it is only November!!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 21:39 »
Yes, I make my own have done for years
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:05 »
thanks all for your replies its nice to see the old traditions carried on by the way have you ever thought about growing Helichrysum as a Christmas decoration when dried they make an excellent display and  when your friends come calling and admire you deco you can say i grew them in myself on the lottie or the garden a bit of self praise never hurt anyone  :D

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 20:28 »
I do too! I learnt off my Gran and luckily I have three lovley little holly trees at the bottom of my allotment that are covered in berries. Two of them are plain leaved and the other is variagated (sp). I also use the cut of boughs of our Christmas tree in them too. Last year i sold a couple to friends who were so impressed with them!!!
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

Spana

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 17:54 »
I sit in the barn and make mine. :)

I make ropes from straw and wire and then bend them into  hoops. Now the wheat growers are growing short varieties of wheat its not as easy as it used to be when the straw came long.
I cut loads of foliage and wire up  little bundles then wire onto the straw hoops.
I hate using holly, it makes my hands hurt and cuts my fingers.  I love ivy berries and usually make the one for us with just these as they look nice with a red Christmas bow.  :happy:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 18:06 »
lovely Spana, wish I could do that  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Spana

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 20:07 »
You could do that :)
The most difficult thing is getting enough little bunches made.  But if you can put three stems together with a bit of wire you're there.
You dont have to make a straw hoop, you can buy something that will do or make one with twigs twisted round and round, anything that will hold the foliage.  Then just get the little bunches and starting at the top, wire one bunch on, then another, till its all covered.
Honest, its easy and costs nothing but the wire.

You can use a wire coat hanger opened out.  If you go round and round the wire with thick string you get a better hold with your bunches 8)

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 21:57 »
that looks great spana, very traditional  ;)

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 09:03 »
That looks lovely

daisy1990

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 16:37 »
there are lots of florists who run classes this time of year to learn how to make wreaths and other arrangements.  Last year we did one with a tub of oasis secured to the top of a tall vase.  The vase had a little water with flower heads floating in it and the oasis has long sprigs of ivy running down then holly, red carnations, variegated leaves and berries.  Looked lovely if you are not a fan of the wreaths
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 08:57 »
Beautiful wreath Spana  :D

I like to make kissing balls to hang outside the house and if my hands are up to it 2 inside also.

My favourite bit is dressing the Christmas tree with a glass of sherry ;) well.. not actually dressing the tree in sherry. :tongue2: :lol:
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

xx
Holly

Started by lucywil on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post November 24, 2012, 08:52
by DD.
xx
Holly clippings

Started by Riala on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 10:11
by Rangerkris
xx
Pruning Holly

Started by Celtic Eagle on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2006, 12:22
by Celtic Eagle
xx
propogating holly

Started by Rampant_Weasel on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 19:25
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 38 queries.