Evergreen Hedge

• 5 Replies

lifeflower

Evergreen Hedge
« on: March 02, 2015, 03:56 »
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could plant to basically provide a privacy hedge around the outside edge of my property. I am looking for:
Evergreen
6' to 8' tall (give or take)
4' to 6' wide (also pretty lenient here)
Full sun to partial shade
Nothing invasive, of course.
I live in Mobile, AL

If you have any suggestions, or recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated.

I will try to reply, to any questions, as quickly as possible.
Thanks, in advance.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:29 by lifeflower »

fatcat1955

Re: Evergreen Hedge
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 06:22 »
Western red cedar. Thuja plicata atrovirens  I think is the botanical name. Try Buckingham nurseries mail order.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 11:02 »
I have a Viburnum tinus shrub that takes well to being cut back to whatever size and flowers during the winter and spring. You could also look at varieties of Escallonia which is also amenable to pruning and flowers in mid-summer depending on which one you choose. Both grow dense if kept trimmed. Would you put your location in your profile as that helps us to give advice that is suitable for your climate and situation - cheers.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:05 by Goosegirl »
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 12:56 »
I agree with the atrovirens cultivate of Thuja plicata. Makes an excellent clipped hedge, grows quickly but SO much better behaved than Leylandii and its Cupressus / Chamaecyparis cousins.  Clipped its almost as smart as Yew, without the lifetime wait!

Laurel, Viburnham, Escalaonia all seem, to me, to make rounded / scruffy-shaped hedges - which is fine if there is space for that sort of "style" to evolve, but I think not so good if a formal clipped hedge is wanted.

I have some Holm Oak hedges here, they clip to a formal shape, although "sprout" fairly vigorously in Spring. Dunno how readily available they would be in USA, I was able to buy mine as cell-grown plants so they were only £1 or so each.

If the hedge was needed for security, to keep out intruders etc., I would consider Berberis (not all are evergreen) and Pyracantha.  Not sure how "evergreen" dense they actually look in winter though, if that is important.

Only other consideration for USA is how cold the winter is in AL?  Not something I know, but things suitable for UK would not like the cold which is common in central USA Winters

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 15:50 »
Do you have privet hedging in the USA (there are many varieties?)

Probably true to say it's popular rather than actually loved here, but it has many virtues, and should stay fully evergreen in Alabama if I've read the temperature zone maps correctly!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Oddpod

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 15:33 »
If holly grows well in your zone, it is slow-growing, good for wildlife, dense and prickly (therefore intruder deterrent) and you can also get variegated and berrying forms. Brilliant!

xx
evergreen clematis

Started by andyf75 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post October 12, 2015, 10:27
by andyf75
xx
Evergreen windbreak ideas??

Started by Totty on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post December 17, 2010, 18:15
by JayG
xx
flowering evergreen hedging

Started by ally on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post April 28, 2015, 13:39
by ally
xx
evergreen shrubs and climbers

Started by trogg on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 09:57
by Lardman

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 35 queries.