onions: slugs and snails

• 13 Replies

annied

onions: slugs and snails
« on: July 06, 2012, 18:18 »
Is there any thing the damn things won't eat! The slugs that is. They are destroying the tops of my onions and I fear that this will cause a halt in the growth of the onion???
 Won't go on about the size of the onions at this point in the year as i'm sure everyone else is in the same position
Have tried slug pellets don't seem to be much of a deterrent
Any thoughts anyone

annied

Re: onions: slugs and snails
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 18:21 »
Is there anything the damn things won't eat. Snails that is. They are slowly destroying the tops of my onions which are only small as it is. I'm worried that the loss of the tops will affect the eventual size of the onion??
Any thoughts. Slug pellets don't seem to work!  :(

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 19:18 »
It seems not this year.  They have even had a go at my Stupice tomato.  Unheard of.

Kirpi

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 20:10 »
I am thinking at this point in the year, your onions have probably reached full size or very nearly - they will be ready for harvest soon.

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 22:39 »
I don't know where the original poster is located, but around here onions will be nowhere near ready for harvesting now, unless they are the overwintered variety.  I wouldn't expect spring planted onions to be ready until the end of August, and where I am in Yorkshire, September.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 00:06 »
The culprits may be mainly snails which do not seem to be well controlled by slug pellets. Beer traps or go out after dark and pick them off.

How are others getting on with "organic" ferric pellets. Slugs appear to eat them and my crops aswell.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 09:15 »
How are others getting on with "organic" ferric pellets. Slugs appear to eat them and my crops aswell.

This has been mentioned a few times this year, and I would agree with you. I went back to using the old ones to get any protection at all  ::)

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 15:31 »
Picked off a few snails on my onion leaves the other day. I think they are now big enough to handle it, but my shallots are untouched and they are nearly ready to be lifted??????????
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 16:17 »

This has been mentioned a few times this year, and I would agree with you. I went back to using the old ones to get any protection at all  ::)

It was suggested that the ferric ones only 'appear' to be useless,as the victims slope off and die out of sight.......Personally I dont buy it,I persevered with them for the best part of a season,and the slugs on my plot positively thrived......that is until I had enough one evening and sprinkled a few of the normal pellets around.....next morning it was carnage,and a very noticable reduction in problems after just one application.

LilacSandy

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 16:56 »
I worry that they only seem to eat 1/2 of the pellet and the rest desolves into the ground.  I am bothered that I will be feeding chemicals to the kids, I know they say that all pesticides are safe if used correctly, but why would I grow my own and add this to them.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 00:12 »
I've been using the ferric phosphate ('organic') ones and yes, I've seen many more slugs on my plot than last year (very very few last year), but as long as I remember to apply them regularly, I've actually only lost one plant to them (a young cucumber seedling), so something must be working...?

Famous last words...!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 00:38 »
I put in 20 french beans yesterday and sprinkled the pellets quite liberally around them.  When I looked today, one on the corner by the fence had been nibbled clean away as had all the pellets surrounding it.  :( The rest were untouched.  :)
I think the thing is that we have had a massive number of slugs this year and although the instructions say use sparingly, there have to be enough down to feed the little critters.
I've never used the non-organic ones but I don't really fancy the clean up tbh.  :wub:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 09:55 »
This is what the Deputy Gardening Editor of "Which" has to say on the subject of DIY, traditional and "organic" slug control.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 11:11 »
This is what the Deputy Gardening Editor of "Which" has to say on the subject of DIY, traditional and "organic" slug control.

I don't believe it, I have tried the organic variety and found them next to useless, makes me wonder as to the honesty of "Which", I mean every thing else seems to be corrupt in this country why not a magazine?

xx
Slugs and snails

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 20:38
by hotterotter
xx
snails and slugs

Started by chelseablue on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 23:18
by richyrich7
xx
Slugs and snails

Started by Marijke Jones on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 25, 2024, 22:05
by Aunt Sally
xx
Slugs and snails

Started by mattcavens on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 13:37
by peapod

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 40 queries.