Man-K’s range of bird scarers

• 0 Replies

Man-K

Man-K’s range of bird scarers
« on: May 31, 2009, 17:54 »
Just a few photos showing some of the bird scares I have made for the plot Pumpkin Queen and I have. Thought I would share them since a I have noticed a few people have either copied them on their plot or told me in passing that they think they’re a good idea. As always with my stuff, it’s all made out of junk or stuff I got for free.

Bird Scarer 1: This is actually a modified design (two sets of sails, one below and off set from the other so it always has a cup in the wind) of one I saw on these forums.  It spins really fast in a moderate wind!

Bird Scarer 2: I quickly realised simply hanging CD’s on string wasn’t a good idea because they flap around in the wind too much and tangle up anything they can reach (plant stems, fruit, nettings, guide strings etc.). So I came up with the Mk II. Simply cut a slot 2-4mm out of two CDs from the edge to the centre, then slot them together. The 4 sticks you can see stop it from folding flat, I have used cable ties (stolen from work – so never elect me as a politician!)  but string will do. Keep the hanging string short so it can’t wrap itself around anything, although it’s heavy enough not to flap up and down too much, also, IT SPINS. The downside is that in the really bright sun my plot looks like a medieval disco – but I guess that is the point!
Incidentally, this one is currently hanging off my first attempt at a “Munty bean frame”.

Bird Scarer 3: Finally, a friend of mine, who’s an RC aircraft nut was gonna throw out this propeller. It’s not pretty, but it’s effective. (For the aerodynamic wiz’s out there I now know the propeller works better the other way around and have since fixed it).

BTW, in case you’re wondering, all this IS really necessary because Worcester’s pigeons are not afraid of plastic bags!!!

I’m hoping soon to post my latest project – my telecommunications water irrigation system, but i need to finish it first and Uni work gets in the way.
Bird Scarer 1.jpg
Bird Scarer 2.jpg
Bird Scarer 3.jpg
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 19:23 by Man-K »

xx
Bird Scarers

Started by pdblake on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2013, 07:10
by fatcat1955
xx
Ant-bird netting

Started by argonaut on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post January 28, 2012, 10:35
by arugula
clip
Project 3 The Bird Feeder

Started by Aidy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2021, 22:38
by Aunt Sally
xx
Making a 'Yankee- bird nest

Started by Bodger on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post February 17, 2009, 23:00
by FCG

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 39 queries.