young Birds

• 3 Replies

pepsi100

young Birds
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:43 »
I have 3 young hens (maybe a cock as well) but when is the best time to put them out with the other hens (these are mature birds, with a big cockerel in with them)

evenings, mornings, afternoon ?
I know there will be a ruck when they go out there, sorting out the pecking order, but that has to be sorted I know, just trying to keep it to a minimum of fuss and not to surprise any of em  ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:55 by pepsi100 »
It's all about the journey, not the destination

kegs

Re: young Birds
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:46 »
I gradually mixed a young flock of chicks with an older flock (6month olds) by introducing them over a series of days in the garden out of their runs.  The chicks I put in a temporary arc for the first few introductions.  Then I let them all have the run of the garden for a few days while I supervised.  Then I finally put them all back into the new run and left them to it.  This seemed to work well and although there were a few battles everything eventually settled down.  I did at first try to introduce one chick on its own in the garden but it immediately got picked on (blood drawn!) so there is definitely safety in numbers!  For me the afternoons were better as they seemed calmer then.

Someone else will have to advise you regarding the older cockerel though.

Good luck - and keep the purple spray handy!  ;)

pepsi100

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:50 »
I'm hoping the cockerel will find a new home (or oven)

I leave em in the garden, the older birds pretty much have ignored them, I think any problems will arise ewhen they are all lumped together ;)

kegs

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:03 »
Maybe I was just lucky that my older ones were still quite young, because I found that once they got on in the garden then they got on in the run as well.  To be honest, they still ignore each other, they sit in two different parts of the run in two camps and at night when the Fav cock pushes the girls in the coop he ignores the silly white Hubbards and just leaves them outside to come in when they want!  One flock are Faverolles and the younger group are table birds (No brains and only interested in food) and they completely ignore each other.  I'm sure the Favs look at them with their posh noses in the air!  :lol:

(They'll have the last laugh though because the Fav cockerel started crowing this morning so it looks like it's roast chicken on the menu this weekend!!)  ;)

xx
When do young cockerels ............

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post December 10, 2012, 17:40
by ANHBUC
xx
young sparrow attacked by hens

Started by Geo on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2013, 09:11
by 8doubles
xx
Young bantams Cockerels Learning to Crow

Started by rocker on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 10:29
by ANHBUC
xx
What happened to my birds :D

Started by Thingy on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post October 30, 2010, 07:35
by Thingy

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 38 queries.