My Bees are in

• 1 Replies

kevinp

• Experienced Member
My Bees are in
« on: July 04, 2011, 07:46 »
Hi all

I now have two of my hives populated with bees the first hive had a nuc installed on the 18th of june. Which is the hex hive on the right

I did my first proper check on the hive this saturday and found them to be really busy, the bees came on seven frames and have now moved over to the three topbars and have built themselves natural comb from these.

they are building and filling these so fast that I have been advised to put my first uplift on the hive, this will not have frames in but will contain top bars from which the bees can build comb from.

The second hive the Warée hive had a nuc installed yesterday it all went very well we did have to chop the lugs down by about 20mm to get them to fit the hive but I knew this when the hive was made. I just chopped  them off with some loppers. The bees for this came on five very nicely filled out frames containing some very mild bees. Again we put the frames in and filled the rest of the box with top bars with starter strips, this hive is slightly different as the bees were put into the top box and then they work their way down. Again they will build their comb onto top bars fitted with starter strips.

It didn't take them long to get out and about collecting pollen.

I did get my first sting on saturday and it still has not gone down yet, always remember to tuck your gloves in :)

Kate and her Ducks

Re: My Bees are in
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 11:33 »
Bad luck on the sting but the bees look like they are doing well (although couldn't get all the pics to load properly on my stupid work puter!).

Will be really interested to see how yours get on as your set up is quite different to mine. I just have standard Nationals although my Mum has a topbar hive.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
New bees

Started by ManicMum on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 21:04
by darren64
xx
Bees

Started by Rubellite on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post November 07, 2009, 18:30
by Rubellite
xx
Bees

Started by carl on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2012, 21:49
by carl
xx
i want to get some bees

Started by joshbuchan on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 20:34
by joshbuchan

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 38 queries.