how to plan for unexpected hospital visit.

• 15 Replies

rachelr

how to plan for unexpected hospital visit.
« on: April 15, 2011, 19:39 »
I have had some bad news and need another operation. This time in London!!!!!!!!! I will probably be in for at least three weeks. I am going tohave to plan this very carefully as i dont wanna be on my own bu I need to know the animals are well looked after.

I have 20 ish hens how much food would they need for say a week? If anyone else has had to do similar what do i need to think about.

Three dogs who need walking. Two cats at deaths door.

Sorry I had not expected this or i would never have taken on the chooks.

I have had 18 ish ops in 8 years and they promised me i would not need any more. I am gutted but need to have a plan of action

cammi

• Experienced Member
Re: how to plan for unexpected hospital visit.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 19:45 »
If i remember rightly im not far away from you. if i can help.  

I use Safe & Hound when we go away they charge £10 per VISIT not per animal like some!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 20:04 by cammi »
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 19:51 »
Rachel are these layers or meat birds? Do you have anybody who will be able to look after your dogs and cats as well as the chickens? My free ranging hens get through 1 sack of layers a week and some mixed corn.
Like Cammi I live fairly close too  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

rachelr

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 20:02 »
no the meats will be culled before i go in. so it will be my layers. I think i might be able to persuade my neighbour to top up their water.

I dont know about the dogs yet. I am hoping they will all be able to stay here with a little help. I do need a teenager who would be willing to walk them tho.

I am also on a quick list so i coule be rung and be in the next day. Or i could be waiting 12 weeks. Its not urgent just.......... i will be in london and my girls will be here. I am sooooooooo worried. Sorry, I have a hubby and kids around the uk so i am sure they will help. i think it was a bit of a shock and i am a little scared.

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 20:31 »
It sounds as if you need to think about yourself for a bit.  Good luck with the Op and keep us posted.   :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

jinty1911

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 22:37 »
I am so sorry to hear about your predicament.  It must be a really hard time for you.  We are waiting for an appointment for my step-son to have a brain op in London.  He will be in for at least 3-4 weeks.  If it goes ahead he will be left with no sight on right side of both eyes and thats the best outcome but he is determined to go ahead.   :(  :( 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 22:46 »
I'd leave 2 bags of pellets to be on the safe side.  Like Joy we are not too far, so if you are stuck for someone to go into yours, maybe one of us could have them at our own house?

Thing is, I don't have a spare coop at the moment with the chicks going in the big house next week.

So are you on your own up there??

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 22:57 »
and mine all free range so chances are we wouldn't be able to catch them again if they came to me  ::).

mr.mellow

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 11:18 »
As I may be local to you, perhaps I could help as well, any one want to start a rota.

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 12:01 »
If everybody who can help Rachel could pm me with what you want to do or would be able to do I will chat to Rachel and if she is stuck I'm sure we could work something out  :D.
This is what I love about this forum - the majority of people on here are so friendly and eager to help out in times of need xxx

rachelr

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 12:16 »
ah thanks so much for all your help. I thought i would just ideas and things but to be actually offered help is very greatfully received.

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 19:07 »
We have organised a 'cat sitting 'circle in our neighbourhood. A few of us swapped services when others away, feeding cats, chickens, rabbits, guinea pigs, fish, but also includes watering plants and greenhouses, opening and shutting curtains and switching on lights!

We now have 8 of us who use the service, within 100 yds of all our homes; we email each other when we need help and it works out really well. No money swaps hands, we just need friends with the same love of animals.

I would recommend!

pigeonpie

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 19:43 »
Hi Rachel, so sorry to hear of your predicament.  If I was closer I would be more than willing to offer any help but all I can realistically do from here is say that I really hope that it all goes ok and if you ever need to talk / shout / laugh / cry with anyone then give us a shout.  There is always someone lurking on the forum with some wise words, good jokes, and sympathetic ears. 

twissle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 20:10 »
I'm quite near london, I'd be happy to have your dog's for you. We could easy meet you somewhere or you could bring them here if you'd be happier knowing where they lwould be staying :). I foster for a local rescue if you would like they would give me a reference, MMm on second thought's i did get told off sometime's for spoiling them abit too much ::) :D. Hope all goes well for you. Please pm me if there's anything i can do.

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 20:17 »
Well feel free to contact me if you need too - i miss dog walking, we've tried twice since having the kids but having a dog just didnt work  :(

we could work out days to go round take it in turns

Ps Hope its nothing too bad and your are feeling ok in yourself.

xx
my chook put me in hospital :)

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 23:56
by compostqueen
xx
Hospital/isolation coop

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 14:23
by kegs
xx
Which plastic house to buy as a hospital/quarantine/red mite decant wing?

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2012, 08:15
by Casey76
xx
8 unexpected chicks (hen or coq??)

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 08:04
by Willow_Warren

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 37 queries.