Help! - Very quiet hen

• 13 Replies

birds in a basket

Help! - Very quiet hen
« on: April 28, 2010, 14:40 »
My maran that laid the first egg this morning has now gone very quiet (everyone is out free-ranging)  I picked her up without a squawk and she doesn't seem well. Her legs are and toes feel rather cold and a bluey colour.  I've put her in the hen house - what's wrong - is she suffering from shock or what!!!  :( :(
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 21:12 by Aunt Sally »
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 14:42 »
so is this two birds now that arnt well, wot happened with the black rock you found this morning at the bottom of the ramp           nicky
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 14:43 »
so is this two birds now that arnt well, wot happened with the black rock you found this morning at the bottom of the ramp           nicky

sorry sorry, i made a mistake, i mistook you for haleys hens sooooooo sorry,    nickyx

birds in a basket

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 14:44 »
No prob  :)

birds in a basket

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 14:57 »
She's roosting in the perch inthe hen house now.  Still very quiet and her tail feathers are down.............

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 15:01 »
Laying that first egg can take a lot out of them! The egg looked perfect so no problems from that. Have you checked for any bleeding around the vent, mine have often had a little blood after the first egg? Is she eating and drinking okay? Make sure she gets some fluids and food into her and give her a good check down below. Have a feel to see if there is another egg in there making its way down. Let us know what you find on an examination xx

birds in a basket

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 15:02 »
Will do xx

birds in a basket

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 15:08 »
Ok - no signs of any blood, vent is clean and clear and can't feel another egg.  Her legs have warmed up a bit and she's just headed off to a nest box again.

birds in a basket

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 15:09 »
I offered her some water and food but she's not interested at the moment.  :(

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 15:12 »
It could just be the stress of it  :unsure: If she has warmed up that is a good sign. I would keep a close eye on her, keep offering food and water and if she is still unwell in the morning a trip to the vets. Hopefully after a little sleep and recouperation she will be back to normal!

birds in a basket

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 15:16 »
Thanks Caralou!  Am wearing out a track up the garden at the moment - checking on her every five minutes.  Thanks for your help.  Jean xx  :)

birds in a basket

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 19:53 »
Well - she sat in a nest box most of the afternoon and when OH came home we took some grapes up to the run (following by the other 3 springing up and down trying to get al them!).  I took her out of the nest box and sat with her on my knee - she devoured two grapes whole  :blink: and a couple more broken up ones.  I have watched her over a couple of hours and she is drinking and her tail in now up.  Still seems rather subdued and has taken herself off to bed early so we shall see how she is in the morning. Fingers etc etc crossed.  :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

treacleminer

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 21:09 »
I don't know how well you know your AA Milne poems, but there is one about a little boy who is off colour - panic, doctors etc. -  which finishes with the next morning
  'and what can I do to amuse them today?'

I often have this feeling with the chooks, where if we are not careful we tend to assume the worst with every symptom and sometimes leaving them to get on with it for a short while is the best option.

Hope tomorrow she is bouncing around with the rest of them - and shows how its done and lays another egg as an example to the rest :D

birds in a basket

Re: Help! - Very quiet hen
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 09:23 »
You will be pleased to know that I have finished flapping and rosey around like a mother hen  :tongue2: :tongue2:  my little lady is up and running again this morning much to my relief   :D  We hardboiled her egg last night and had a little ceremony of peeling, cutting in half and toasting her success before eating the delightful results of her hard work.  Thanks for your support everyone (as usual).  I am sure both the girls and I will get through this initiation period!!!   :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
quiet hen ...help please

Started by andy and deb on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 13:17
by andy and deb
xx
Quiet Ducks

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 13:40
by joyfull
xx
quiet puffed up hen

Started by peggygate on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 16:11
by ChristyRose
xx
quiet breeds?

Started by freshers on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 22:18
by freshers

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 34 queries.