Quiet Ducks

• 35 Replies

Helenaj

Quiet Ducks
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:17 »
Hi Folks

I have managed to obtain some land where I can finally keep some ducks ( :lol: ) because it has a natuaral spring that hasn't run dry even in this weather, so I'll be pond digging when the weather breaks a little!

Can anyone recommend a quiet breed of duck - I was thing of having some Khaki Campbells as a starter, but can anyone suggest another breed that will get on with them and are not too noisy?

Yaaayy - I'm having ducks!!!!! :D

Helena
x

Springlands

Re: Quiet Ducks
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 10:25 »
Helena - I really do not think that there are such things as quiet ducks.  :lol:  Mine are hybrid Aylesbury's according to the person that I got them from and boy can they be noisy. Hopefully someone can suggest a breed that would be quieter.

The other issue would be with the pond - ducks are very messy and unless your pond was very big the ducks would have it very muddy in no time at all. We use a paddling pool which we are able to empty on a regular basis and refill with clean water.

I hope all goes well with the duck adventures - they are so cute when they are waddling about.  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 10:47 »
The searching I did for the quietest duck came up with the Muscovy duck.  I would love some but don't have the room at the moment and the mess issue is something that concerns me.  Our soil base is clay so in bad weather it would be a quagmire. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 12:33 »
They are a bit messy but because we have a really large run we can keep it under control - they are lovely but OH has said that when they go we will not replace them.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 14:04 »
I have found Crested Ducks as quiet as any.  They only seem to quack at meal times if they are hungry or if something is chasing them.  They are not too big to make a mess of the garden too much but still eat slugs for you.  They don't need swimming water, though they do like it. 

Having kept many breeds of ducks over the years I would not choose any other than these.   :)
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 15:48 »
I looked at Muscovies, but read that they can be quite agressive to other breeds of ducks, so am having a think about those at the moment. I didn't give crested ducks a thought - I shall have to read up on them.

As for room - I have an acre and a half to play with and my husband is a builder and landscaper, so no problem with building a large pond.

I'm so excited!

Debbieta

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 17:15 »
Hi there,
Just wondering if you could keep us up to date with building of pond (lake!) and choice of duck.
We have 1 1/4 acre and I would love to get 3 or 4 ducks but am a little hesitant on pond digging and excavation.
Any tips as you go would be brilliant.  We have heavy clay which has cracked quite a lot at the moment, so we're (hubby's) not about to consider starting yet a while.  Plus I have 4 4week old and 11 2 week old chicks to keep me occupied :D :D :D.
Good luck
Debbie

Debbieta

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 20:22 »
Hi again,
BobE can I please ask, what size eggs to call ducks lay?
Many thanks
Debbie

Sparkyrog

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 20:55 »
The searching I did for the quietest duck came up with the Muscovy duck.  I would love some but don't have the room at the moment and the mess issue is something that concerns me.  Our soil base is clay so in bad weather it would be a quagmire.
You need to remember the muscovy is not a true duck :)
I cook therefore I grow

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 21:48 »

That is not something I am aware of, what do you mean?

Sparkyrog

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 22:06 »

They are half goose  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 22:11 »

I have had a quick look online and apparently they are not goose either!   :ohmy:

"Since Muscovy are genetically disimilar to other domestic waterfowl, many folks believe that they're more of a goose than a duck. For instance, they eat grass, as do geese, have a similarly long egg incubation period of 35 days (compared with 28 days for ducks), and they don't quack. This is a good trait since they are "quiet" ducks. The male has a low breathy call, and the female a quiet trilling coo.  They are neither truely duck or goose, in fact, they belong to a group of waterfowl that like to perch high in trees (Cairininae) similar to the knob-billed duck and the African Pygmy Goose ."

Quote from HERE

Springlands

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 22:13 »

As far as I am aware that is not correct - they were originally from South America not like our other domesticated ducks which are all related to mallards.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 22:15 by ANHBUC »

Sparkyrog

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 22:16 »
While a gander will not trouble muscovy ducks the muscovy drake will pester geese at that time of year . Having said that they are both excellent layers and mothers ,not to mention table birds which they excel at  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 22:25 »
Debbie,
Call Ducks don't actually need a pond.  They do enjoy it when they get in one.  Some people use a paddling pool.  If you dug a small pond 5 foot dia it would be ample.  They only go in it to fool about and also if they get scared.  A wide, deep pond will stop a fox.  Sitting here thinking about a pond for protection I suppose you'd need 3 feet deep and 8 foot diameter.  But thats just to let them escape a fox. 
I put a small 2 foot dia island in the center of our pond and they would sleep there overnight, no hutch required.  She would lay her eggs there though, so I had a plank to get accross.  My pond was 10foot dia with a 2foot island. pond shelved to 3 foot deep, fox'es won't swim.
I only had 3 ducks.

Wouldn't a fox be able to just jump across to the island?  From what I have seen online a fox can swim :ohmy: SWIMMING FOX.

xx
Help! - Very quiet hen

Started by birds in a basket on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 09:23
by birds in a basket
xx
quiet hen ...help please

Started by andy and deb on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 13:17
by andy and deb
xx
quiet puffed up hen

Started by peggygate on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 16:11
by ChristyRose
xx
quiet breeds?

Started by freshers on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 22:18
by freshers

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 36 queries.