stopping hens roosting in nest box

• 7 Replies

morganmarni

stopping hens roosting in nest box
« on: April 20, 2011, 21:51 »
Hi everyone, just got some new chooks and one little devil will not stop roosting and pooping in the nest box, any great tips and idea's on how to stop her will be much appreciated,
cheers Morgan
 :mad: :mad: :mad:

Robster

Re: stopping hens roosting in nest box
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 21:57 »
I had this problem and it was pretty easily solved by waiting until they had gone to bed for the night and going out and pushing them back into the roosting area.  I had to do this for less than a week and then all solved.  Good luck

morganmarni

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 22:01 »
I had this problem and it was pretty easily solved by waiting until they had gone to bed for the night and going out and pushing them back into the roosting area.  I had to do this for less than a week and then all solved.  Good luck
Cheers Robster,
been doin it for a few weeks now, all got the message bare one stuborn girl, gonna have to percevere me thinks
cheers morgan

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 22:18 »
Can you cover the entrance to the nest box somehow, before bedtime?  Or put something in the box so there is no room for her to get in there?  (People have suggested a shoebox, but basically anything that means she can't squeeze in.)

P.S. your avatar frightens me  :ohmy:

new heather

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 22:22 »
I have had my ex batts for almost two weeks now and they all sleep in the nest boxes. Is it bad for them to sleep in them? They dont know how to perch yet and just ignore their perches :nowink:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 00:27 »
It's not bad for the hens themselves (unless they get dirty feathers on their tummies).  But it can mean that they poo in the nest box, resulting in dirty eggs.  If you can encourage them to sleep on perches, the poo just drops down under the perch at night and makes it easier to clean up.

On the other hand some people don't seem to mind, and are happy to clean the nest boxes frequently, so I suppose it's a matter of personal preference.

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 06:56 »
I had this problem when we first got the girls and I blocked the nesting box off for a good few months with an old wine box. I put it in when I shut them up for  the night and removed it first thing in the morning. Now I don't bother and they never sleep in there now, one or two still refuse to perch though!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 07:04 »
when they sleep in the nest boxes they are so close to their pooh which can result in them getting infections in their eyes (one of my sabelpoots used to do this and had to have swabs taken and antibacteria eye drops administered as a result), so best to get them out of the habit.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
ROOSTING IN THE NEST BOX

Started by chucksaway on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 19:55
by chucksaway
xx
Roosting in the nest box

Started by dancing trousers on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 16:38
by nerdle
xx
Roosting in nest boxes

Started by Slatz on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 14:16
by Slatz
xx
Roosting/muck in nest boxes

Started by steephen on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 16:14
by Chickenstreet

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 29 queries.