Changing Energy Suppliers

• 27 Replies

mrs bouquet

Changing Energy Suppliers
« on: May 17, 2019, 15:42 »
I am currently with  SSE (Southern Electric) who supply both Gas and Electricity.  I have a fixed 1 year tariff which is due to run out on 28th June.
I have just taken advantage of Mail Finance/energy, who invite you to call for the best suppliers etc.
The best they Suggested  was :- together energy, 1 year fixed.  The reviews for them are terrible.  Then:- Zebra , fixed for 2 years, glowing (ha ha) reviews just £55 dearer than Together.   Next:-  Ovo Energy, £4 dearer than Zebra, for 1 year fixed.   These figures save, apparently, about £200 per year, give or take.
The SSE variable estimate is dearer again by about £30.
Now I cannot see that any energy will actually go down in price, but feel anxious about Zebra being a 2 year contract.
I am old fashioned, it used to be The Gas Board, The Electricity Board when I was a kid.   I know I have to move into the 21st century, and Mail Finance make the switch if I decide to change.  So kind friends, please advise me of any similar experiences with any of   these suppliers.   
I have told the adviser that I must sleep on this, so she is going to 'phone me at 9.30 am in the morning.
So any advice will be most helpful.     Finally, thank you for taking the time to read this.   regards,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

Re: Changing Energy Suppliers
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 16:10 »
I'm currently with Scottish Power and don't have any issues with them. Personally, how much of your life do you want to spend trying to find the best leccy provider when prices can suddenly change overnight? All you need is a company that you can rely on when there is a problem with their supply or yours. I'd go with the big six because other suppliers have currently fallen by the wayside. You get what you pay for but there's always room to haggle if needs be. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 16:12 »
Nobody can predict what will happen to energy prices over the next year, never mind two years, so there's a chance you could lose out, but as you say, it's probably not a big risk, and you do have the peace of mind that comes from knowing that your energy costs won't rise during the contract period.

I've been with OVO for several years now, and am currently well into the second year of a 2 year fixed price contract, which turns out to have been a good move.
No problems at all with them (they do keep 'recommending' I get a smart meter, as I believe they are all obliged to do, but don't actually insist on it as a requirement to stay with them.)

Not looked recently, but they have had very good reviews over the years.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 18:50 »
First Utility (Now renamed Shell Energy) for some years, very competitive tarrifs and not once been caught out for locking in for one or two year fixed rates.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 19:58 »
used Ovo before, but check u switch or which.
We generally go for the cheapest and have had 2 companies go bust, the gov changes your supplier for the same amount

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 21:06 »
Mrs B, we're in the same boat, as I have a 'situation' with Ebico.

Madcat has some ideas I believe, so let's all keep in touch! I refuse to be ripped off by suppliers of any 'services' and don't stop with the electricity companies!

You're with chums I assure you! PM me if you want.

ecky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 23:12 »
We have had Scottish Power for 5/6 years and have had no issues till the of our latest 2 year fixed deal at £86 pm for duel fuel was due to end. Their new cheapest deal for us would cost £102 pm.
Took the advice from Which mag and looked at Octopus. Took their 1 year fixed price at £83pm. They email a reminder when meter readings are due and when input you can see instant balance and statement/bill. With SP it took 3-4 days.
Ecky

Christine

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 14:28 »
I'm with OVO and have no issues - so long as I go on site and put in meter readings the day before the direct debit goes out I have a bill the day after.

I regularly consult uSwitch when I want to change. Because I can have a warm home discount I tick the box there and this does get rid of the smaller start up firms. Mrs B - try uSwitch, don't let them just show you the ones that they will switch you to and do tick the warm home discount if you want to get rid of the smaller ones. It's actually quite easy to switch for yourself. There must be some form of payment for those who list themselves as available to change through any online system.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 22:06 »
Most fixed price tariffs ask you to say how much your annual consumption will be of gas and electric kWh when you sign up, and they fix your monthly payment across the year / duration of the contract.  This means that you have predictable, even payments that you can budget for.

Ovo works differently.  Although the price per unit is fixed for the duration of the contract, you send a monthly meter reading and they calculate how much you owe for that month.  Personally I'd be concerned about having to find the higher costs of the winter months in one hit, rather than spread across the year.  But it suits some people.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

al78

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 00:56 »
I'm with Utility Warehouse. I have my phone, mobile and broadband with them  as well, so I just get one bill per month for all my utilities, and they are cheaper than the combined bills I was previously getting from the various utility companies.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 10:05 »
Ovo works differently.  Although the price per unit is fixed for the duration of the contract, you send a monthly meter reading and they calculate how much you owe for that month.  Personally I'd be concerned about having to find the higher costs of the winter months in one hit, rather than spread across the year.  But it suits some people.

That may be an option Yorkie, but for me the direct debit amount is the same every month, although to continue to qualify for an online bonus you need to submit your readings at least every 3 months.
They do help by suggesting how much the monthly payment should be, the aim being to just cover your energy costs over the full year (they do actually pay a decent rate of interest on any surplus funds in your account.)

(OVO are currently suggesting I reduce my DD - my gas usage has decreased since I started closing the door to upstairs during the winter months.  :))

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 10:16 »
Mrs B - I imagine you have made your choice by now but... I used EDF for several years - no problems at all apart from a huge mess with my parents' billing when I was informed (after my parents died) that EDF were now "my" deemed supplier. Daft as I continued to be the same person who had organised my parents bills & payments when they were alive - now I was acting as executor... then the billing went wrong.

Short version of events - EDF - I contacted them countless times and had standing charge dropped by them but was then issued with a red letter and demand for many hundreds of pounds and several more bills all different. Eventually, after disputing this, the account was creditted with exactly the same amount as was owed so they wiped the whole bill out to get rid of me. I accepted.

Presently (having had EDFD as my home supplier and switched to their best tariffs every few years without issues) I have moved to Npower. An ok company - not easy to talk to by phone but good on "chat". I always search online for best deals - use switching companies but still check tariffs elsewhere myself.

No supplier is cheap these days just some are less expensive than others.

West Sussex now has its own energy supply company and few if any seem to have zero daily tariff charges but I will be searching for one again soon - a good option for unoccupied properties or those that are only used occasionally. TCR (tariff conparison rates) are useful measures of costs. It is not one of my favourite jobs checking for best deals but it has to be done and can save money for sure.

Hope it went well for you?

Mrs B, we're in the same boat, as I have a 'situation' with Ebico.

Growster - sorry you have been having problems with Ebico - I used the company to keep my parent's empty home frost free with it was unoccupied. I chose them because they offered a tariff free of daily standing charges. In the summer my bill was less than a £1 a month! Their billing was accurate, customer service excellent and the online account allowed me to pay without a fuss.

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 10:41 »
Thanks Paul, and everybody.  Paul, who are the West Sussex supplier.  I haven't changed yet as I have until 28th June to decide.  regards,  Mrs Bouquet

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 16:23 »
Thanks Paul, and everybody.  Paul, who are the West Sussex supplier.  I haven't changed yet as I have until 28th June to decide.  regards,  Mrs Bouquet

I thought, wrongly, that the supplier was West Sussex but it is "Sussex" - more information below:

I have no experience of this fairly new "local" company nor any idea how their tariff costs compare. I will try to give you their web-address.

https://www.yourenergysussex.org.uk/

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 18:03 »

I thought, wrongly, that the supplier was West Sussex but it is "Sussex" - more information below:

I have no experience of this fairly new "local" company nor any idea how their tariff costs compare. I will try to give you their web-address.

https://www.yourenergysussex.org.uk/

Hmmm - wonder if they'll pop over the border into Kent, we're only a few yards away...

xx
Changing broadband provider

Started by madcat on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 08:53
by al78
xx
'Bulb' energy supplier

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post June 02, 2018, 21:53
by hasbeans
xx
Switching energy companies.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2020, 12:20
by Goosegirl
xx
Energy saving sites.

Started by dugless on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2020, 20:59
by JayG

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 55 queries.