what it this?

• 10 Replies

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
what it this?
« on: October 13, 2006, 18:06 »
i found it growing after i had cleared my carrot patch... i thought it looked like a strawberry plant....

any ideas?  am i way off track?

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
what it this?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 18:35 »
Looks like a strawberry plant at first glance but then when the leaves fully grown, the little serrations on the leaf edge go too rounded for it to look really like a strawberry plant to me  :?  Wait until it gets flowers/fruit to be sure?

I keep looking at it and thinking it does look like something else... like a herb or something but I can't think of any names  :?
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

jennyb

• My Blog
what it this?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 21:54 »
well as you can see i've moved if from where it was and i shall nurture it over winter and see how things progress!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
what it this?
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 00:00 »
Looks like a strawberry plant to me too, especially with the skinny long bits, which my stupid brain can't think of the name of!!!!! DUH

Maybe its an alpine strawberry or something, which is why it looks a bit different????

Annie

what it this?
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 16:01 »
Looks like a wild/alpine strawb to me v.popular with small peeps and bees,ours is in the herb patch and still producing the odd fruit.

jennyb

• My Blog
what it this?
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 20:15 »
just what i hoped you were going to say!!

now i can go and buy myself one of those layered herb/strawberry growing pots!!

Oliver

Re: what it this?
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 20:34 »
Quote from: "jennyb"
... strawberry plant...

It does look like an alpine strawberry plant (we have some growing in the cracks of our patio - red and white ones) but it also looks a bit like a salad burnett ... Your best bet would be to nurture it and see what flowers it produces! O
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

jennyb

• My Blog
what it this?
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 20:36 »
i shall give it lots of love and attention then and hope that sways it's decision into becoming a strawberry plant!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
what it this?
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 23:39 »
That's like 3 years ago, we were sitting on the old patio, and I said to OH, what's that?  It doesn't look like a weed, no he said, looks a bit like a sycamore.  Well this plant was only tiny, so could have been anything, but I left it alone and the next year it got a bit bigger, about 2ft high, single stem, still looked a bit like a sycamore, but I thought it reminded me of something, then a wondrous thing happened.

It grew little blackcurrants!!!!  Don't know where it came from, and I moved it to the side of the garden and now its blooming HUGE.  Had quite a lot of fruit this year, but because I didn't get round to covering it, I didn't get any of the fruit!!!!! lol

Hope your little strawberry does as well for you Jenny!!

Oliver

Wild strawberries
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 11:46 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
That's like 3 years ago, we were sitting on the old patio,  ...

Thats exactly what happened with our strawberries - they just appeared from no where (probably birds :wink: ), but we left them and now there is a path between the plants so we can get to the bins and to her studio, but they get lots of fruit off the plants. In fact enough to make WILD STRAWBERRY Jam - delicious! Made 10 bottles this session, apart from eating loads in fruit salads or on 'brown sticks' (cereal). (We pick them as they get ready and freeze them until we have enough for jam as there is never enough at one picking).

The flavour is very intense and the smell is devine. If left to their own devices they will spread happily.
Olly

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
what it this?
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 15:33 »
Wild strawberries are delicious, i used to pick them from a place called Fox Covert near Thorpe Marsh power station, its where Pilkingtons glassworks has its settling ponds.

Anyway, i discovered a schoolmate down the street had them growing in his parents driveway, down the middle, so i took a few and grew them in the border at my mums house, as far as i know they are still there.

Martin
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 38 queries.