building an aluminium greenhouse with no instructions?

• 6 Replies

Totty

Hi all we are soon to be moving to a new house with a nice big garden. some years ago there was clearly an 8x6 greenhouse in place as the block base is in place. Firstly, are the dimensions for an 8x6 generally quite  standard, the base that is there is 4 inch blocks so there is a little room for error.
 Secondly, the greenhouse i am getting is through a friend of a friend, is taken down, has all the glass, nuts bolts and clips but no instruction manual. I think it is made by "TROPICAL"? cant remember the model. How do i go about putting it together with no guide? Im sure some of you have done this before.

Regards
 Totty

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: building an aluminium greenhouse with no instructions?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 18:35 »
8X6' is the nominal size rather than the actual size, being designed to use 4x2' sheets of glass lengthwise and 3 widthwise. Taking into account the frame width the actual dimensions are obviously a bit larger; I think most finish up at about 8'6" X 6'4" (it should be quite easy to identify the base sections which will quickly give you the exact overall size.)

Unless you can find a copy of the assembly instructions online you will have to get into "jigsaw mode" and figure it out step by step (a good sized flat area to lay it all out helps!) bearing in mind that they are usually assembled in "panels" (4 X sides and 2 X roof) which are obviously then bolted together.

It would clearly help if you could take pictures of a similar model, but studying any similar greenhouse should help solve the puzzle.

Good luck!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Totty

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 20:51 »
So the concrete block base should be round about the right size as it is then? (fingers crossed! ;)) There is a 6x4 greenhouse right next door to were ill be putting it up so maybe i can sort of copy that? Is it a case of putting the two side walls, to ends and two roof panels together, then just bolting together, with all this type of greenhouse. The 6x6 hexagonal one that i am also moving is an absolute pain in the xxxx to take down and put up, due to it having to be totally taken apart before moving. Then there is the problem of moving the tomatoes before getting it back up sharpish, thats a different problem though....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 21:01 »
Build the 2 sides, build the 2 ends then bolt the 4 sides together. Check the base is square then fix to base.
Bolt the ridge across the top and then bolt the roof beams across.  Fit door and window.

Then clip in the glass....well that's how mine went together, this spring  ;)

Totty

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 16:40 »
Thanks very much, ill let you know how it goes!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 13:04 »
Don't think this is the right make but it might give you some useful information.

www.ukgreenhousesales.co.uk/pdf_downloads/gardman/08840-1-2_Alum_Greenhouse_Instructions.pdf

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Totty

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 18:34 »
That is both very helpful, yet a little scary at the same time. Im sure it will come good in the end! (The end being around the time the tomatoes need planting out, next year!)

Totty

xx
cleaning aluminium greenhouse

Started by makedoandmend on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 11:05
by compostqueen
xx
Cheap aluminium greenhouse

Started by hubballi on Design and Construction

19 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 13:24
by Aidy
xx
Can you alter the size of an aluminium greenhouse?

Started by fluffypebble on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 20:12
by muntjac
xx
Anybody have an Eden Greenhouse by Monarch Aluminium

Started by argonaut on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 15:10
by argonaut

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 40 queries.