Nespresso Coffee Machine

• 42 Replies

compostqueen

Nespresso Coffee Machine
« on: January 11, 2015, 23:33 »
Anyone got one?  Would you recommend it?

I'd like to make good coffee at home but without the fuss. I like the look of the Barista type machines but without the faff  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Nespresso Coffee Machine
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 00:27 »
Dunno much about them, but have had coffee from one at friend's house.  Capsules seemed expensive to me (razors are free, the money is in the Razor Blades, Nespresso seems to be the same type of thing to me!), but there was some Intellectual Property court case recently which, I think, means that 3rd party can now make them - which should bring the price down.

I use a Moka Pot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

That won't make fancy Cappuccino etc (by itself), but it makes an excellent percolated cup of coffee. I use cheap supermarket Lavazza Espresso (ground) coffee, stick the pot on the stove and its brewed an excellent cuppa in next to no time (although mine isn't a traditional & iconic :) Aluminium Bialetti Industries one, as I have an induction hob)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 00:28 by Kristen »

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 07:05 »
I have a tassimo because I prefer their coffee pods, BIL has Nespresso  one that has a milk frother but it's never very warm when I have one,nor good taste,but that could be the pods they choose. With the tassimo I order the pods online,but don't buy the latte or cappuccino ones- they have milk pods with them. I buy the espresso pods & get 16 pods of coffee as opposed to 8 coffee & 8 milk. I microwave my fresh milk & zizz it with a little hand held frother. We,ce had on for 5/6 years. No fuss,no mess. Having said that I'm considering getting the real deal type one if & when we move house, but only a small one like a De Longhi,my friend has one & uses Illy coffee, it really makes a good cup, & seems to be little mess.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 09:07 »
Anyone got one?  Would you recommend it?

I'd like to make good coffee at home but without the fuss. I like the look of the Barista type machines but without the faff  :)

Oh yes, yes, yes, yes on all fronts.
I have had one for years.
Easy to use, brilliant coffee. Wouldn't be without it. Mine came with the milk frother and it makes amazing cappuccinos.

My sister had a barista style big beast machine but it was such a faff to use she hardly ever used it.

Other people are now making pods that fit the nespresso machines but the coffee is 'orrible.

It produces quality coffee that you get in the better class of coffee shops for a fraction of the cost. And Nespresso have a recycle scheme for the used coffee capsules.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 09:35 »
I've got that Bialetti pot Kristen but it doesn't make a good espresso I don't think.  Mine is the tiny one mind you and I reckon because it's tiny, and it goes directly on my gas hob, that it burns the coffee. I have it turned down to its lowest setting and watch it like a hawk to whip it off the heat as soon as it's bubbled up to the top pot.

Hmm Tassimo or Nespresso?    Rubs chin. I might just go up to John Lewis and do a taste test

My niece has a £500 De Longhi but the coffee is lukewarm at best! 

I don't need milk frother as I don't do milky, frothy coffee, just espresso for me and Americano for my OH

Thanks folks for your information. I knew I could count on you.  Off to browse Tassimo now.  Tara a bit x

Snoop

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 10:05 »
I have an espresso machine (DeLonghi), not Nespresso. It's very good (though I agree, you have to preheat the cups if you want hot coffee), but as we now live off grid I tended not to use it that much, especially early in the morning before the sun is up (we have solar panels). A friend of ours recently gave us an AeroPress gadget, essentially a cafetière but which operates by means of pressure due to the rubber stopper on the plunger. I didn't think that much of it because it's plastic, doesn't look like much, etc. But the coffee it makes is surprisingly good, much better than a Bialetti-style coffee pot according to an Italian friend of ours, considerably better than the usual style of cafetière and it knocks the socks off filter coffee. Obviously you can't build up the same pressure as an espresso machine, but the coffee is very good.

For twenty odd pounds, you might think it worth a try. Very easy to use, takes up next to no kitchen space, you can use coffee from anywhere, and it's so easy to clean you wouldn't believe. In particular, there's no chance of limescale developing, which we found to be a problem with the espresso machine, as we have very hard water.

In case this sounds too much like an ad, I have absolutely no connection with the company! I haven't added a link but they're easy to find at all the usual online outlets.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 10:09 »
I've got that Bialetti pot Kristen but it doesn't make a good espresso I don't think.  Mine is the tiny one mind you and I reckon because it's tiny, and it goes directly on my gas hob, that it burns the coffee. I have it turned down to its lowest setting and watch it like a hawk to whip it off the heat as soon as it's bubbled up to the top pot.

Mine is a biggun - makes a large mug-full in one go; bigger ones exist, but I struggled to find one that woudl work on Induction hob.  I run the hob on full tilt ("Boost" even) until it is bubbling and then turn it down somewhat (don't need to go lower than 6) for a few seconds to finish off, otherwise it would spurt about.

No idea if you would think the taste of mine was any good though ... drop in if you are passing?!

I might just go up to John Lewis and do a taste test

I think that's an excellent ideal

I don't need milk frother as I don't do milky, frothy coffee, just espresso for me and Americano for my OH

Seems a lot of kit for just an Espresso? (and for Americano would you just add boiling water to Espresso? or is that a cop-out?)

However, if you would be likely to treat your dinner guests to any-coffee-you-want then a capsule machines would earn its keep.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 10:12 »
... I agree, you have to preheat the cups if you want hot coffee

Sorry, wandering off topic, but talking of 'spensive kitchen gadgets we have a boiling tap (Quooker). Excellent for instant coffee and brewing tea, as well as hot water for pans and so on of course, but also excellent for warming a cup, or some plates for the meal 'coz we forgot to put the warming drawer on!

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 10:17 »
A friend of mine bought me a full size Bialetti from her travels but my son bogged off with it when he moved out. Cheeky chuff!  :nowink: 

I'll have a look at the Aeropress one. Thanks Snoop

I wanted one of those boiling taps when we had our new kitchen but my husband was having none of it. I had to beat him up practically to get a mixer tap  :nowink: 

Yep I get that about the Americano. OH reckons he doesn't like Espresso coffee but he doesn't realise he's drinking it in his Americano. Dafty he is

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 13:35 »
It has to come down to which taste you prefer, so if you can compare before buying that's great. I don't own anything Nestle (20 years of boycott) but lots of my family have various capsule thingies, so I've taste tested.  Personally I prefer the coffee from the moka pot or cafetieres - I find it's a heavier/deeper taste and I'm only allowed 1 cup per day.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 13:43 »
I do agree with you about Nestle, and I do feel really bad about not boycotting but I am afraid that  after lots of trying other coffee over the years I prefer their coffee. And until Costa do a machine with capsules..... :wub:

I think John Lewis is an excellent idea. They do taste tests there and that is what swung it with us.

And if you are in John Lewis' kitchen department you might find lots of other lovely, very necessary items that you absolutely cannot do without. ::) :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 15:03 »
And if you are in John Lewis' kitchen department you might find lots of other lovely, very necessary items that you absolutely cannot do without.

Been there ... done that ...

Took my Mother, aged 90, to John Lewis (she was a big fan) in a wheel chair (difficulty walking far, rather than invalid as such).

"What do you need Mother?"

"Batteries for my radio, I like to listen to the farming program in the early hours when I cannot sleep ..." (I'd got to the electrical department before that sentence finished!!)

Located and bought batteries.

"Anything else Mother?"

"No, I don't think so ... Did I get your wife anything for her birthday?"

"No Mother, I don't believe that you did" (she had long since been any good at remembering such things, and we had never bothered to remind her).

"Is there something she would like?"

Being in the electrical / white goods department reminded me:

"Actually Mother, she has been talking about getting an Ice Cream Maker"

"What a good idea" (I expect she said "my boy" at that point, she was of that generation!)

"Summon that nice looking salesman over there" (again, in the style of "that generation"!)

So I parked Mother's chair, walked over the the salesman:

"Can I help you Sir?"

"What's the most expensive Ice Cream Maker you have?"

One and only time in my life that I have said that !!

So Mrs K is now the proud owner of a very spivvy Ice Cream Maker :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 15:04 »
That's soooo naughty  :lol:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 15:35 »
I do agree with you about Nestle ... And until Costa do a machine with capsules.....

Those boycotting Nestle probably won't be happy with this route either but:

I tried some Starbucks instant coffee on a whim (it was in Waitrose, might be on sale in all supermarkets??).  I'd be very happy to serve that instead of percolated to dinner guests and very much doubt they would tell the difference.  I reckon its a decent grade instant with some finely ground real coffee powder in there too.

They do two types, I've tried them both, but I only thought one of them was good enough to fool my chums and, right now, I'm blowed if I can remember which one it was - so buy one of each for a test :)

Expensive. Comes with a small measuring spoon, so don't be put off by the small size of the tin (Ocado site say "Price per 100g: £12.27")

Edit: Looks like it is a 55g tin and it says "24 Servings"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 15:37 by Kristen »

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 15:44 »
I do agree with you about Nestle ... And until Costa do a machine with capsules.....

Those boycotting Nestle probably won't be happy with this route either

S'ok both, my boycotts are my own personal choice, wasn't trying to make a point by my post. Luckily for me I prefer other coffee.  ;)

xx
new washing machine

Started by azubah on Kitchen Natter

31 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 18:51
by Growster...
xx
Coffee......

Started by Rhys on Kitchen Natter

17 Replies
Last post August 06, 2017, 23:48
by snowdrops
xx
coffee morning

Started by chrissie B on Kitchen Natter

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2014, 10:41
by joyfull
xx
Coffee maker at last!

Started by compostqueen on Kitchen Natter

6 Replies
Last post January 23, 2016, 13:10
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 39 queries.