Hedgetrimmers

• 8 Replies

rainie

Hedgetrimmers
« on: August 01, 2010, 21:58 »
I need to look at hedgetrimmers as mine has died 10 ft short of finishing a 165ft long  beech hedge. (finished it with shears) I also have the usual bushes which have a tidy up occasionally.
Any suggestions to Makes etc. What to steer clear of. Best value for its lifetime.
Funds are tight but would rather spend a bit more on one to last than a cheap one which will be unreliable.
I dont need one desparately,  so wondered if buying one out of season is beneficial.
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

compostqueen

Re: Hedgetrimmers
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 22:57 »
Having had two complete dodo electric ones, one rather expensive too which only lasted for one hedge before it broke, we got a petrol one. I was looking for something small and not too heavy, as I end up doing all the hedge trimming and I'm not as young as I used to be  :D 

Also there's a difference between a hedge trimmer and a hedge cutter and the cutters are more heavy duty so I got one of those. Mine is a Robin (I think it's Fujitsu, or something similar)  I can only do a short spell with it each time as it makes my arms ache. I take the bulk off with this and then tidy up with the shears 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 13:44 »
I agree with CQ; trimmers will not last long if asked to do the job of cutters, even if they do claim to be able to tackle branches nearly the size of the gap between the blades. On the other hand you don't want anything so heavy that it puts you off using them.

I have a 100' rear garden with privet hedges on 3 sides and can do the whole lot with a Bosch AHS 52ACCU rechargeable trimmer using both rechargeable batteries supplied. No more aggravating (and sliced-through!) cables and of course it's handy for the little trimming jobs where you just can't be bothered messing around with extensions and cables.

Downsides (apart from remembering to recharge the batteries!) is that a pair of replacement batteries cost as much as the whole appliance did originally, the cutting speed is slower than mains-powered versions, and as a trimmer I wouldn't expect it to last long hacking my way through a jungle!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 16:10 »
We have a little McCulloch (petrol) hedge trimmer. Little being the operative word, its nice and lightweight. These retail at about £100.00 in various places at the moment. Whilst McCulloch isn't in the realms of the very best and heaviest duty makes, such as Stihl, it does an perfectly good job for normal use.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 16:35 »
I'd agree with everything said so far. ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 22:54 »
I think we're discussing a machine suitable for a woman to use so our answers might be different Gwiz.  My hedge cutter is light but after using it for a while my arms feel like lead and my shoulders really hurt. It usually takes me a day to recover before I can carry on and do a bit more. Starting these machines is also a feat in itself (petrol ones) Quite literally a pain in the neck.. I'll buy the next mower and hedge cutter and make sure they have electric starters if such a thing exists. If it doesn't then it should! 

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 07:19 »
I think we're discussing a machine suitable for a woman ....

Hi CQ,

I gave my answer as a woman. ;)

Re.: electric start, I haven't seen it on a mower or hedge trimmer (yet) but, at work this year we started selling Ryobi strimmers - as opposed to only the very expensive Stihl - and some of these have electric push button start and some are even 4 stroke, for those who struggle making a mix.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 07:58 »
Another point which I thought of (much) earlier and forgot to mention, is that if discounting petrol due to the weight, consideration should be given to the weight of those rechargeable batteries too.

The best idea is to go and look at some different types of machine, handle them etc and decide.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:29 »
If it's any help Argos quotes the McCulloch Daht 25 Petrol Hedge Trimmer as weighing in at 5 kg. and the Bosch AHS52 Cordless 14.5v at 2.6 kg. One would assume that this is in "ready to go" status, i.e. with fuel and battery respectively although it doesn't actually say so.

I did find my Bosch cordless felt lighter than the mains-powered one it replaced though, which was a bit of a surprise; might be partly down to doing away with the pesky cable!   ;)

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 38 queries.