New allotment needs storage urgently!

• 10 Replies

gbrown100

New allotment needs storage urgently!
« on: March 12, 2009, 19:04 »
Hi All,

I have just been to the planning meeting for our application for sheds. They have deferred the decision and it looks like they may turn it down. We have maybe 130 plots just getting ready and I am concerned that people will turn down their plots if they cannot store their tools etc.

I have two approaches, short term and long term.

Short term - Does anyone know whether it is legal to plonk a shipping container in the field and use that until such time as planning is forthcoming?

Long term - Are there any great ideas for alternative storage on your allotments? Maybe burying shipping containers or other hidden / low profile storage? I would love to hear of them, even just ideas on how to appease the planners.

Thanks

Graham Brown

Chairman Owlsbury Allotment Tenants Society.
http://www.owlsburycommunity.org

cousdude

Re: New allotment needs storage urgently!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 19:08 »
Not sure about the shipping container idea, if you think sheds might be a problem surely a container is definitely a problem... dunno on that one.

you can storage bench like things like off this site

http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/category.asp?dept_id=200407

Not sure if they're any good though, or worth the money.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 19:32 »
Forget what prog it was on, one about allotments, and this woman wasn't allowed a shed :ohmy: So she made a big hole...can't remember what it was lined with , with a top made of planks. She stored her tools in that :D

noshed

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 21:49 »
How can you have an allotment site without sheds? It's not natural.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

digalotty

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 22:51 »
if you can build your own compost heap,maybe you could extend it or sneaky build behind it some tool storidge as long as its not too high you might get away with it  ;) ;)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 23:11 »
How can you have an allotment site without sheds? It's not natural.

and ridiculously unreasonable, Ok outlaw the 'build it yourself from doors' sheds if must but allow new sexy ones at least!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

digalotty

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 23:35 »
i actualy think that allotments look better with a shed tucked up a corner here and there :tongue2:

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 05:23 »
i actualy think that allotments look better with a shed tucked up a corner here and there :tongue2:

Your not wrong!
I like the array of different styles of sheds. Some made from old doors, some all but falling into the ground  with rot, others like palaces. It adds individuality.

megan48

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 19:54 »
Another issue could be if the council specified a specific brand of shed on the site.
it seems to me that some councils are specifying expensive sheds as standard, wheras you can purchase a 6X4 shed at b&q for £105, allotments are after all supposedly a cost effective thrifty way of growing vegetables.
if sheds are banned is this the case with raised beds, etc
how far are yiou prepared to let the council push you
i personally would not tolerate an allotment without a shed of my choice.
An allotment is a place you should be able to walk or cycle to, without a shed you would need a car, which is probably against the councils green ideas in the first place.
short term solution would be put a storage container there, it would cause a lot of trouble for them to get you to remove it
good luck

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 10:16 »
Similar issue here on my new patch. We are a small group only 16 plots but the powers that be have stated NO SHEDS on the plot site. Only structures needing for supporting crops allowed i.e. bean canes etc. This means for now everything has to be transported backwards and forwards every time you come to the plot. I have looked at the storage bench idea and that would seem to be within the rules though they seem a tad expensive at around £60 -£70 each. Anyone built their own version or come up with a novel idea for on plot storage I could utilise? Thanks in advance.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

noshed

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 12:33 »
You could build a pallet compost heap and then have one compartment for tools, cunningly covered with a bit of old carpet to look like another part of the heap.

xx
Help Urgently Needed Flymo DM

Started by madbrit on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 17:25
by madbrit
xx
IBC for water storage

Started by RichardA on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 12:50
by RichardA
xx
Seed storage boxes

Started by mikeimp on Equipment Shed

17 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 14:32
by Trillium
xx
Using IBCs for water storage

Started by Novice but totally hooked on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post February 25, 2013, 19:51
by The Silver Surfer

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 39 queries.