Where's the best place to get black poly sheeting?

• 12 Replies

Johnnywesto

Afternoon all,

I've just sprayed my new plot with Round-up, etc andonce things die off I'll get in amongst it to sort out a few decent areas to plant next spring.

To hold back the weeds I want to use that heavy duty black plastic sheeting. It's used quite a bit on the plots where I am but there never seems to be anyone around to ask where/how they got it.

Looking in B&Q at their weed suppressor membrane seems to be a bit pricey so is there anywhere that you good people know of that does it by the roll?

Thanks in advance

John
I'm off for a pint

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 15:23 »
I bought a roll of clear plastic on the roll a while back from an online place.

Can't remember off hand but will try and find who it was.

Rob  8)

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 15:26 »
Here's a place that I looked at but can't remember if I bought from these or another one.
If you do a google search, you should find a few but these were one of the cheapest at the time.

PLASTIC SHEETING

Rob

Little Dibber

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 16:12 »
That looks just the job, would it be suitable to construct a home made Poly tunnel/greenhouse from say the 4m wide roll?

Also getting very interested in making a pond and it could maybe work as a pond liner.
"Know that this is your God, who could not consent to send anyone else to save you, but would come himself that he might gain for himself all your love."
St Alphonsus Ligouri

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 16:17 »
You need to be careful with pond liners because some plastics contain chemicals that disolve into the water and poison everything !

Also UV stability. They can become brittle. But the shop should be able to advise on those. I knwo the blue builders membrane is a no-no.

As for polytunnel, no idea but would be fun finding out !

I made a small lean-to last year for the toms using b&q clear plastic and it survived just fine.

Good luck

Rob  :)

Little Dibber

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 16:27 »
Thanks for the tip on the pond liner, I have a heavy clay soil so I think I may be ok with it as it is, I was looking at the potatoes yesterday and its been that dry the earthed up clay is solid, going to water tonight.

Have been reading a lot the past few days about backyard fish farming and wondering how practical it would be to keep carp.  Was thinking of the plastic to keep the temperature higher in the pond, if I built a dome over it or a longer poly tunnel I might be able to keep tilapia which need above 15 Deg C.

Then again, it might be more fun to just go fishing!

Thanks Again,
LD

Angelah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 17:59 »
I got a huge roll of damp proof membrane from ebay, only about £20, and it's covered nearly half of the plot, with some left over.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 23:35 »
the black heavy duty sheet mulch is porous which is important to keep the plot in good condition as it allows rain through.  It's rough textured too and keeps slugs off

They sell it on line at Alplaz or SmithnJones  :D

Sweet_pea

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 11:07 »
We bought a huge roll of black fabric sheeting from Screw Fix - 2x50m for £39.99 -

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/42949/Building/Landscaping/Landscape-Heavy-Duty-Fabric-Roll-2x50m-100g-m

It's a tightly woven black fabric/mesh so it still lets the rain in. One roll did two thirds of our plot and were well chuffed with it  :D

Shaz
All things grow with love

Johnnywesto

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 13:22 »
Thanks Shaz,

that look like just the sort of stuff I'm needing - one of the lads in here has got a Screwfix account and maybe I'll be able to get a little bit more knocked off the ££££.

What bit of Bristol are you from, I'm originally from Downend but have been up here for the last 16 1/2 years.

Many thanks for the link :cheers:

John

Sweet_pea

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 23:25 »
Hi John

Did you manage to get some? I was really impressed by the price of it.

I'm from Whitchurch (South Bristol) by the way

Cheers
Shaz

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 18:52 »
Quote from: "Johnnywesto"
Thanks Shaz,

What bit of Bristol are you from, I'm originally from Downend but have been up here for the last 16 1/2 years.

Many thanks for the link :cheers:

John

I'm a Downend girl too  :D  small world! Now in soggy Reading - will it ever stop raining????

Johnnywesto

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 13:06 »
Shaz,

'tis the silly holiday season up here at the moment and the rain has been such that we've not been able to spend that much time getting the Lotty into shape, so I've yet to order that sheeting. Maybe the week after next once we've had a go at knocking down the weeds.

I'm off back down to Brizzle (yerr tizz my babby) on Sunday for a few days using my parents house as a base for me, the (mad) g/f and our little lad to get off on some day trips (Legoland, Exmounth and the like) but the nippers' told me that we have to be back up here for next Saturday as Barrow are playing Mansfield in the second home game of the season and as they're top of the League "we just can't afford to miss it, Dad". Oh to be 8 years old again.

Janey,
I've talked to people on other forums who've originated from Bristol but never (knowingly) one from Downend - your right it is a small world.

Way, way back my local was The Sandringham on Quakers Road - used to really be bouncing on Friday and Saturday nights - they even had some old bird murdering the classics as a geriatric two piece organ/drum combo did their level best to drown out here wailings by being totally out of time with each other. I'm too :oops: to tell you just how long ago that was.

Have fun, all the best for the w/e.

Regards from sunny Cumbria (I kid you not, the sun has made a guest appearance in LA13)

John

xx
Plastic sheeting or cylinder for bird feeders

Started by Kleftiwallah on Frugal Living

8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2021, 11:19
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Cheap as poly tunnel

Started by Notty1975 on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2018, 08:25
by sunshineband
xx
Hoops for poly tunnel help

Started by flash on Frugal Living

8 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 18:33
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Small poly tunnels, garden netting, seeds +

Started by hayles62 on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post January 16, 2007, 11:16
by noshed

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.