Owt for Nowt

• 20 Replies

Sally A

Owt for Nowt
« on: July 19, 2007, 17:16 »
Have spotted a pile of about 100 Somerfield shopping baskets behind the local store.  they are turquoise plastic and the handle bit has split so can't support the weight of shopping.  I would love about 15 of these to tidy greenhouse/shed etc.  Does anyone know Somerfields policy on giveaways, or do I just nip down at midnight and help myself.

shaun

Owt for Nowt
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 17:20 »
if you get em sally they make great little crop protectors  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Sally A

Owt for Nowt
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 17:25 »
My balaclava is on standby

weeeed

Owt for Nowt
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 19:45 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
My balaclava is on standby

I do hope I wont have to start making cakes with files in.  Those baskets make absolutely fab plant containers, a rather unusual hanging basket I'll greant you but plant one up and you will see what I mean. :)  :roll:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Owt for Nowt
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 21:10 »
Why don't you just ask the store manager  :?:

Sally A

Owt for Nowt
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 22:05 »
Yes, that's my first point of call, but although I have his name, which is printed on a receipt, he never seems to be there; I have also been eyeing up some of those blue plastic mushroom crates. In fact I really want a good ferret around their trade entrance, as some stuff looks very usable.

splodger

Owt for Nowt
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 22:47 »
most stores have external cameras so be careful if filching - do what i did -buy some fags for a couple of hoodies - and send them in to nab it - whilst you hide around the corner in the car :lol:

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
Owt for Nowt
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 04:33 »
They will not let you have them due to health and safty.if you get injured by them.(yes i know its stupid)
the best thing to do is a midnight trip.
i used to work for morrisons and was absolutley amazed at the amount of stuff they used to chuck out.one year it was 700 unsold easter eggs.every day it was bread cakes and so on anything what was out of the fridge for 15 min.
we used to get people in the skips at the back of the store we had to call the police on them and they were allowed nothing.incase they got ill (even though most food was wrapped)
i dont think they would mind you just taken them as long as they dont know

shaun

Owt for Nowt
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 06:39 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
I have also been eyeing up some of those blue plastic mushroom crates. In fact I really want a good ferret around their trade entrance, as some stuff looks very usable.

i use these for storing spuds much better than sacks as you can sort the bad ones out much easier just throw a blanket over them to exlude the light,also great for yer onions

David.

Owt for Nowt
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 08:52 »
Quote from: "shaun"
i use these for storing spuds much better than sacks as you can sort the bad ones out much easier just throw a blanket over them to exlude the light,also great for yer onions

Me too (if you me the diagonal mesh one that stack) and I use the deep plastic mushroom boxes for sprouting dahlia tubers in compost.

I usually pull them out of recycling baskets on collection day.  Someone in the village works in the veg trade and occasionaly leaves both small & large veg crates out, so my wife checks that out on the way back from collecting my daughter from guides. Or ask a market trader (after buying something) towards the end of the day if you can have them from their pile of rubbish.

flowergirl

Owt for Nowt
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 13:28 »
the stuff supermarkets chuck out amazes me i work near Waitrose and we use their biffa bins and every day they throw away perfectly good food. a couple of weeks ago their fridges broke down and they filled 2 SKIPS with cheeses,chicken,joints of beef etc and wouldnt even let the staff buy them cheap, it should be illegal, after all if you got food from a skip your not likely to sue  (maybe if your American!)

Sally A

Owt for Nowt
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 18:52 »
Woo Hoo. asked the deputy manager, and he said to help myself to the broken ones (where the handle meets basket bit has split), but leave the ones that are mucky as they were going to be cleaned and re-used.  So I took 15 - didn't want to look too greedy, and also nabbed 4 flower buckets that were being thrown. All the mushrom crates had gone though.  There were some rather nifty black pallets but I guessed they were waiting to be returned via lorry.

Still felt guilty when I was loading them into the car.

flowergirl

Owt for Nowt
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 19:02 »
yeah a frugal living victory, well done

Sally A

Owt for Nowt
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 19:11 »
Cased the joint for next time too, no cctv, hardly overlooked, only a takeaway operating later on, with associated hooded numpties no doubt.  There was a glass topped ice cream freezer, and also a clear plastic display stand, possibly for a Cadbury's promo, a bit lke a large see though umbrella stand but I couldn't think of a use for it - bet I will later on.  Will definitely scrounge the flower buckets every time I visit.

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
Owt for Nowt
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 22:15 »
Quote from: "splodger"
most stores have external cameras so be careful if filching - do what i did -buy some fags for a couple of hoodies - and send them in to nab it - whilst you hide around the corner in the car :lol:

Class  :tongue2:  :tongue2:
Ah well ! There is always next year !

xx
Pallets - Shy bairns get nowt!

Started by AndyRVTR on Frugal Living

15 Replies
Last post October 23, 2008, 21:36
by min200

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 35 queries.