sweet corn tip

• 3 Replies

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
sweet corn tip
« on: May 24, 2012, 18:36 »
I started my seed off fairly early via a heated propogator and germination fine, growing away well then suddenly they all started to keel over, on examination in appeared to be basal rot - I did think all was lost but I did repot deeper (including the ones a bit iffy) and hey presto saved virtually all of them, now growing away fine in 6" pots ready to transplant soon....
stems are now about as thick as a good pencil....
Death OR Cake ???

allotmentann

Re: sweet corn tip
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:49 »
It is amazing how plants will recover at times! I had a tray of butternut squash in the blowaway green house that got caught with the frost (badly). I went in, in the morning and all the leaves were shrivelled and dead. I went to throw them out, but for some reason stopped myself. I didn't remove the dead leaves immediately (as I would literally have had only stalks left). After a few days I removed the dead leaves. I planted them all out in the plot this week, lovely big, healthy looking plants. I couldn't believe it! It just shows it is always worth a try. :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 18:18 »
I had some busy lizzies damp off. They were just a stalk with seed leaves on the top. I replanted them and they grew just as if nothing had happened to them. The resillience of these plants is amazing.

Chicken Pete

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 12:10 »
Not sure whether this was the reason in your case but last year the majority of our sweet corn suddenly wilted in the pots, I asked an experienced allotment holder and he emptied some of the corn out of the pots and told me that the seedlings had become pot bound. Whilst they recovered somewhat they only had stunted growth and very small cobs.
So we now start corm off in larger pots and make sure we transplant before they produce too much growth.
Thought it might be worth knowing.

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
sweet corn

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 12:55
by andyf75
xx
Sweet Corn

Started by backpain on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post October 11, 2008, 17:05
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Sweet Corn Help Please

Started by plot36 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 18:22
by fatbelly

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 38 queries.