beetroot seedlings and thinning

• 17 Replies

Flump

• Experienced Member
beetroot seedlings and thinning
« on: April 14, 2010, 14:46 »
 Hi,I planted some beetroot the other day and it say to thin when they are large enough.It also says  on the pack that there are four plants to each pod,does that mean I have to waste three when thinning?or do people usually replant them?confused  ???

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Re: beetroot seedlings and thinning
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 14:52 »
As far as i know there is one plant to each seed, i dont like beetroot but my better half does.  I might well be wrong and im happy for anyone to tell me i am wrong about one plant per seed.  I would think you can transplant the thinning's further along in the same bed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 14:55 by Rangerkris »
Thanks
Kris

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 14:54 »
Taken from another site

Beetroot should not be sowed until after the last frost. Sowing can be brought forward a few weeks if you use a poly tunnel or cloche. Soak your beetroot seeds for a few hours before sowing. Each seed cluster actually contains one to four seeds. You can sow the seeds in seedling pots and then transplant the seedlings into the final growing position but some find higher success rates if sowing directly into the soil.

peterjf

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 15:00 »
my beetroot grows in small clumps of 3-4 plants per sedd ,

i planted mine about 8-9 inches apart, never had any problems with over crowding,

i would leave then as they are

savbo

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 15:07 »
I would usually leave them to push themeselves apart (esp as only after little beets). I did thin module-grown plants and replanted the thinnings but wouldn't be bothered now - think I'd just eat them!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 15:27 »
depends on the variety, some are multi-germ some single, I sow my early ones in trays and transplant, the later ones are direct. I only grow the cylindrical ones so thinning is less important as they are picked early anyway and not left to grow too big.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 15:31 »
Plant them in the ground. Now is a good time. The seeds are clusters of up to 4 seeds.

Pull some of them out so that they are each single plants and then thin them to about 2 inches apart. As they grow bigger they will push each other apart.

Pick them as they get big enough to eat starting at golf ball size. It is best to sow a small amount now and then some more in about June so that you always have nice young beet.

diggerjoe

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 15:58 »
Like Aidy I sow early in modules 64 cells to a tray  3 varieties and direct at intervals later - bit fiddly planting from the modules but always managed a good crop I never thin as by te time i get round to it they have usually sorted themselves out. Only problem not thinning is pulling up beets tends to uproot others so care is needed.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 16:32 »
Beetroot is my favourite thing to grow, but I always sow direct, as spaced out as I can bring myself to, and only thin when they are big enough to use. Also been known to use the leaves as spinach. :)

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 16:56 »
If you want big beetroot thin them out if not leave them all in.
As the seeds will give 1-4 plants you should get a single large one (if you do not pick them early) or several smaller ones.

Baby beets are more tender so i do not thin and try to pick early.

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 17:07 »
ok,thanks for all the replies.This variety is 'Boltardy'.Don't know if that makes a difference!

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 17:24 »
Beetroot is my favourite thing to grow, but I always sow direct, as spaced out as I can bring myself to, and only thin when they are big enough to use. Also been known to use the leaves as spinach. :)

Can you eat beetroot leaves?

viettaclark

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 17:33 »
I've been eating them since February in salads with hardy lettuces, mustard, lamb's lettuce and Swiss chard. Pick the tender, smaller leaves but mind out! The stalks leak red sap!!!
The beetroot didn't come to anything as I got it in too late so it overwintered with the rest and I think it will probably go to seed soon......shame!!

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 17:56 »
ok,thanks for all the replies.This variety is 'Boltardy'.Don't know if that makes a difference!

Boltardy is a good reliable variety i use all the time , i`ve tried lots of others but always come back to this one.

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 17:15 »
I've been eating them since February in salads with hardy lettuces, mustard, lamb's lettuce and Swiss chard. Pick the tender, smaller leaves but mind out! The stalks leak red sap!!!
The beetroot didn't come to anything as I got it in too late so it overwintered with the rest and I think it will probably go to seed soon......shame!!

More to eat. Great !!!

clip
Beetroot thinning

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 04, 2017, 23:15
by gobs
xx
Thinning Beetroot

Started by Solidthegreat on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 23:47
by cooperman
xx
beetroot thinning

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 00:49
by Paul Plots
xx
Do leek seedlings need thinning out?

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 22:00
by TheSpartacat

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 35 queries.