Favourite sweet pepper variety

• 11 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Favourite sweet pepper variety
« on: August 22, 2011, 11:58 »
I don't normally get too excited about sweet peppers, partly because I don't grow that many, but also because I tend to think of peppers as just peppers (albeit green, yellow, orange, or red.)

However, a couple of red bell (box) peppers we tried the other day were so juicy, tasty and sweet that I would actually like to make a point of growing more of them next year.

Trouble is, these were plants grown from a packet of mixed peppers, so I have no idea what variety they are!  :nowink:

Can anyone recommend a variety of red bell pepper which crop well and are truly exceptional in taste and sweetness?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Favourite sweet pepper variety
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 13:17 »
the Holy Grail of peppers eh?  ::)

I've grown Sweet Spanish Mammoth this year, lovely red pointy peppers, but the yield is not very good............so will be watching this thread closely ;)

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 14:37 »
For the last two years I have grown california wonders. Despite the name I get around a dozen off each plant. We tend to eat then when they are still green, sliced with salad.
This years are about the size of a golfball so far but are swelling nicely. Nice and sweet and crispy.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 15:07 »
I think that's half the problem for me Willie_Eckerslike..............I don't like them green, and if you leave them on to ripen it seems that you get less fruit :(

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 19:57 »
JayG, could you save some seed from your mystery pepper plant? Unless it was an F1 mix, of course.

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 22:12 »
I've got 3 california wonders plants and wont be bothering again !

They're 2ft tall with 3 peppers on each, and no sign of producing anything more, complete waste of space.

Ricey

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 22:55 »
I've only had my lotty for 6 weeks or so and obviously I'm a tad late to do any serious growing....... But I'm looking forward to trying some peppers next year and I think I've found the one I will be concentrating on.

Its on this page ..... http://www.realseeds.co.uk/sweetpeppers.html
and is called 'Napia'.

To quote the site 'It has really good thick, crunchy sweet flesh, & we like it best raw rather than cooked' ..... Hmnnnn, sounds good.

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 00:38 »

They're 2ft tall with 3 peppers on each, and no sign of producing anything more, complete waste of space.

Lardman, they are a late cropper and are only just coming into their own. Last year nothing seemed to happen until the end of Aug, then over the next eight weeks I had to freeze 20 peppers off just six plants, in addition to what we used fresh.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 08:53 »
To quote the site 'It has really good thick, crunchy sweet flesh, & we like it best raw rather than cooked' ..... Hmnnnn, sounds good.

All I can say is.. I tried them a few years ago with little success  :(

I think I'm going to try Atris next year it got an AGM for 2011 in the RHS trials.

Springlands

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 09:03 »

Lardman, they are a late cropper and are only just coming into their own. Last year nothing seemed to happen until the end of Aug, then over the next eight weeks I had to freeze 20 peppers off just six plants, in addition to what we used fresh.

Willie - my CW have been cropping since the end of July - I just cannot keep up with them. Like you I shall be freezing some. Oh - and yesterday I found some more flowers forming.  :) :)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 09:24 »
I'd be interested to see what the results.  I love sweet crunchy thick fleshed (red) peppers for salad use but always seem disappointed by varieties available in this country and just presumed they are the only ones suitable for this climate.  Has anyone tried Carmagnola (Seeds of Italy)?  I'm keen to know how they turn out.   

AdrianH

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 13:27 »
I tried a few varieties this year. Was very impressed with Lany F1. Big peppers and very productive. Also Orange Bell made good sized orange peppers.

xx
Sweet pepper variety

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 02, 2018, 12:50
by Debz
xx
Pepper Variety

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 21, 2016, 17:34
by Auntiemogs
xx
Favourite Variety

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 27, 2008, 08:55
by richyrich7
xx
What's your favourite strawberry variety?

Started by Baldy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 19:25
by Baldy

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 40 queries.