sweet pepper flowers

• 10 Replies

sclarke624

sweet pepper flowers
« on: May 26, 2007, 14:01 »
Do pepers have male and female flowers as some drop ..........are these male............and some go on to have baby pepers?

Ta
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
sweet pepper flowers
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 23:19 »
Here you go,  found this:

Tomatoes, peppers and aubergines have ‘perfect’ flowers, containing both male and female parts. The flowers only require slight movement to dislodge pollen from the anthers to the stigma for pollination, so plants can be gently shaken to guarantee perfect pollination.

On RHS site   :D

davep

sweet pepper flowers
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 08:35 »
THOUGHT i'd hijack this topic,couple of my flowers opened but were really lame and wrinkled up and died!whats  all that about!!!!?????did they polinate or not??

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
sweet pepper flowers
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 08:37 »
Could be many things, lack of pollination, erattic watering, too cold, in a draught..................

Are they inside our outside?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

davep

sweet pepper flowers
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 09:09 »
outside, and it has been pretty chilly in derby recently!theplants still look very healthy its just the couple of buds that have opened(or not!),there are loads still on there waiting to open though,so hoping for the best.....

DD.

• Global Moderator
sweet pepper flowers
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 09:14 »
No doubt the cold then, got any horti fleece you can throw over them?

davep

sweet pepper flowers
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 09:24 »
unfortunately not!think i'll keep them in my brick shed for next couple of days as its forecast real cold(7-8dg)! do you think the rest of the flowers should be ok if it warms up soon?never grown these before!

DD.

• Global Moderator
sweet pepper flowers
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 09:29 »
Some may already have been affected by the cold, so you may still get more drop, but hopefully when it warms up they'll produce more. Is there much light in your shed.?

I've only grown peppers in the greenhouse, and never come across this,so I'm assuming that the plumeting temperature is the problem.

davep

sweet pepper flowers
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 09:44 »
yes thers light,thing is ,its warm in there cos of the brick,its tipping it down here at the mo and pretty cold.i think the benefits of the warmth may outweigh the drop in light at this point! thanks for the advice!...

sclarke624

sweet pepper flowers
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 22:02 »
Tomatoes, peppers and aubergines have ‘perfect’ flowers, containing both male and female parts. The flowers only require slight movement to dislodge pollen from the anthers to the stigma for pollination, so plants can be gently shaken to guarantee perfect pollination.

Thanks Aunt sally, didn't know that was paintbrushing from one to another, where probably a little shake would have done.  Mine are indoors but can go out if need be.  Thought I would be clever and get these ones early and they have certainly grown loads more than the ones I put outdoors.  There is some flower drop but also peppers growing.  My flower drop may be in a draft (as right near the conservatory door and opened frequently for the little man errrrrr! dog I mean or when the conservatory gets extremely hot.

Trillium

sweet pepper flowers
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 00:41 »
If you keep in mind that peppers, like tomatoes, are really a tropical crop, then you'll better understand how a small drop in temp will affect them. They actually love hot conservatories, provided they get enough water to compensate. Cold nights definitely set them back a bit, usually shown in the flower drop.

Sheila, I'd still do the paintbrush thing since yours are inside and the slight shake is usually breezes outside plus bees pollinating. That guarantees pollination.

xx
Sweet Pepper Flowers?

Started by tam on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 19:39
by tam
xx
pepper plant flowers

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 20:30
by mickwood
xx
pepper plant flowers falling off

Started by Princess1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 11:21
by JayG
clip
Chilli or sweet pepper

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 18:45
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 38 queries.