Chitting potatoes

• 19 Replies

Salmo

Re: Chitting potatoes
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 20:06 »
It does not really matter if the chits get long but the longer they are the more easily they get broken off when planting. If they get longer than you want them rub them off and start again.

If they are growing chits more than 2cm they are probably too warm but definately not in enough light.

Doddy

• Always learning
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 10:45 »
I've had my seed potatoes (From B&Q) sat in egg-boxes in the shed on the lotty for the past 3-4 weeks (I really should keep better records!), dark and reasonably cool. Although there are chits - around 5mm "nubbles" they don't seem to be coming along much. The actual potatoes are starting to feel soft and wrinkled.

Does this sound right? - I would have expected longer chits by now. If not then I'm going to bin them and head to our local nursery (that has a fantastic range, available singly) and get some fresh pots.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 11:01 »
Put them somewhere light and a little bit warmer than the shed, if you wish them to chit faster...but no need to bin them ;)
But considering where you are you won't want to plant them for a good while yet but they do need to be in the light rather than in a dark shed.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 11:58 »
Although there are chits - around 5mm "nubbles" they don't seem to be coming along much. The actual potatoes are starting to feel soft and wrinkled.

Does this sound right?

Mostly :) yes

The fact they only have tiny chits is fine - the point is that the potato has started to change from "dormant" to "growing". The chits are sign of that.

I think they should have more light. (Chits should be dark colours - purple or dark green - the whiter they the more its a sign of not-enough-light.

Mine are not wrinkled yet, but they certainly will become wrinkled if left for a long time - they are using up the energy stored in the potato tuber to grow, adn the tuber will shrink as the energy is used up.  The warmer they are kept the more energy they will use up.

You could spray them with a bit of water every day, or so.

"Soft" I'm not so sure about. They will go soft over time, but I wouldn't have expected that quite yet. If they have had ANY frost they will go soft, but that would be a bad sign. But if they have definitely not got frosted I think they are just using up energy, and all will be well.

But I think they need more light :)

Doddy

• Always learning
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 12:11 »
Thanks folks. I did transfer one egg-box full from the shed to the greenhouse, guess I'll move the rest in today. Although we've had some cold nights, I don't think they'll have been hit too hard with frost, in either shed or greenhouse.

xx
Chitting Potatoes

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2009, 14:52
by Ice
xx
chitting potatoes

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 21, 2013, 20:56
by solway cropper
xx
potatoes not chitting

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 17:49
by sunshineband
xx
Chitting potatoes

Started by TonyB. on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2019, 22:19
by cc

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 40 queries.