Should you stop watering tomatoes now???

• 9 Replies

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
Should you stop watering tomatoes now???
« on: September 20, 2011, 14:57 »
I have been told today that you should stop watering tomatoes now. Ive never heard of this. Are they right?

daisy1990

Re: Should you stop watering tomatoes now???
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 15:14 »
not if they are still fruiting, I water mine right up until the last day they are pulled up.  Obviously they will need less now
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 15:18 »
I've not heard of  any stead fast rule on this.

I have been told to watch how much you water them espicially if the plant is quite dry. If you water too much it can cause the tomato to split . Though i'v never been told to stop completely

I guess alot will depend on your local rainfall.

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 15:22 »
If your tomatoes are still growing keep watering and feeding - although the feed should not be as strong. It also helps to remove foliage if it is keeping the sun off the tomatoes.

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 15:31 »
If your tomatoes are still growing keep watering and feeding - although the feed should not be as strong. It also helps to remove foliage if it is keeping the sun off the tomatoes.

What sun would that be?  :D

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 15:34 »

What sun would that be?  :D

:lol: :lol:  The sun that we had for about half an hour this morning before it decided to clear off somewhere.  :lol: :lol:

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 15:58 »
I've not heard of the stop watering, but interestingly, where the watering accidentally stopped  :wub: and the plant was clearly dying and beyond recovery, the fruit on that planted ripened while I've been waiting for the other plant (sowed the same day etc and in good health) to do something.

Maybe tomatoes in their natural habitat would go into a dry period, so stopping the watering regime is like a trigger for the fruits to ripen before the plant dies?

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 16:06 »
Yes BabbyAnn he did say it helps with ripening. As we are about to go away for 3 weeks and
 was depending on daughter to water them I have nothing to lose but try this out.  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 16:12 »
are they in pots, a greenhouse border or outside?

Greenhouse border or outside should be fine with no watering, but in pots - 3 weeks without water and the plants and fruits will be completely shrivelled up  :ohmy:

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 19:08 »
Hi mumofstig they are in a greenhouse in grow bags . I have resigned myself to the fact that I have eaten the last of them today. I have grown Rosada this year and whilst they took a while to ripen once one started they all started . They have been delicious and would grow them again. If my daughter can enjoy the last of them then lucky her :) . Must stop going away at this time of the year but then what is a good time when you love gardening  ;) . Hubby goes mad at me when I say I'm going to miss the garden.  >:(

xx
Do I stop watering?

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 21, 2013, 21:48
by Totty
xx
When to stop watering onions.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 00:36
by peedee555
xx
Should I stop my tomatoes now

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2020, 19:05
by missmoneypenny
xx
Stop feeding tomatoes.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2020, 06:35
by Growster...

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 35 queries.